swapping from a 3.8 to buick 350 in a '85 regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkbuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2008
I'm going to the junk yard to get the parts i need to do this. I know i can use the pulleys and acc. from my 3.8 but it's my daily and I don't want to be without my car for that long. So i figured I'll go to the yard and see if I can pull a motor from another car. Which cars should I look for that have the 350 in them. I'll try that first if I don't find any then I'll look for a 3.8 motor. I am going to try to take the engine and transmission since it might be easier.
Thanks for putting up with the noob questions

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Buick 350 engines were available in lots of cars.

From 68 to 74, they were only in Buicks. Lots of Skylarks, Special, Lesabre, Century, Regal and Apollos had them.

From 75 to 80 they were available in GM Corporate trim. You could find them still in the Buicks mentioned above, but also in Pontiac Ventura and Phoenix cars, which were just like chevy novas. The vin codes were H,J, and X. From 1977 to 1980 they were also available in the Buick Electra and Park Avenue.

Look for the distributor in front (just like your 3.8 V6) and valve covers with 6 bolts to hold them down, 3 on top, 3 on bottom, directly opposite of each other.

Also, some older Jeep Wagoneers, J series trucks, and Jeep Commandos from 68-72 were available with the 350 Buick. From 73 and later they used the AMC 360. The distributor is in the same place, but the valve covers are different.

bkbuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2008
I'm going to the yard next Saturday so I"ll be on the look out for those cars but I'm pretty sure I wont find it because it's hard enough to find a g-body.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Yeah you aren't going to find a Buick 350 in a gbody at a junk yard. But yeah look for one of the cars that KrisW mentioned and pull a 350 from one of those. Try and get an early 70's one if possible so it isn't all emissioned out and balless

bkbuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2008
I was just sayin that it's hard enough to find a g body I can imagine how hard it is to find an old buick with a 350. If I can find a 3.8 I"ll be just as happy.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
In addition to the local yards Id also use craigslist ebay v8buick.com etc. Through a buick board you could locate some local buick guys and I'll bet one of them can locate you a 350 Buick pretty quick and pretty cheap. I know I would not be satisfied wtih putting in another regular old carberated 3.8.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
RITTER said:
Yeah you aren't going to find a Buick 350 in a gbody at a junk yard. But yeah look for one of the cars that KrisW mentioned and pull a 350 from one of those. Try and get an early 70's one if possible so it isn't all emissioned out and balless

actually i did...about 4 yrs ago...too bad i didnt bring tools :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor