Sway bars, springs and frame stiffners

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I also used a IROC Z steering box and only needed to swap to a G body pitman arm to make it all work together.

That steering box will work but the stops are different from the G-body box. The F-body box stops are at 24 degrees while in the G body box they are at 28 degrees. You probably noticed that with the F body box if you didn't change the stops has a huge turning radius in a G-body. The F-body has a longer pitman arm which lessens the turning radius in the F body. People do use the F-body box in a G-body if they have large diameter wheels because the 24 degree stops help prevent the tire from rubbing the frame

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
pontiacgp said:
I also used a IROC Z steering box and only needed to swap to a G body pitman arm to make it all work together.

That steering box will work but the stops are different from the G-body box. The F-body box stops are at 24 degrees while in the G body box they are at 28 degrees. You probably noticed that with the F body box if you didn't change the stops has a huge turning radius in a G-body. The F-body has a longer pitman arm which lessens the turning radius in the F body. People do use the F-body box in a G-body if they have large diameter wheels because the 24 degree stops help prevent the tire from rubbing the frame
Yeah, that's why I used it.( well...that and it was free...) I used to run 245 50 16's on 16x 8 in Enkei 92 wheels with a 4 inch backspace and needed the extra clearance.I also cut out the inner fender tops and rolled the fender lips because it used to rub at full jounce. Now I am doing the tall spindle conversion and plan on new wheels when it's done, so now I have a set of used 225 50 16's up there so I can drive it until I can buy the wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor