Sway bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
Let me start by saying i'm new to the forum so i hope i'm posting in the right place. Anyways my question is this, is there a list somewhere of doner cars that i can get a thicker front and rear sway bar from, everything that i'm reading says F bodys but i must not be sure what an F body is as i took one off an 84 camaro this morning and lined it up with another 84 cutlass ( same as my car) in the junkyard and it was definetly to wide. I'd really like to do this upgrade but i'm just not sure which cars would be a straight swap?

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
rangertom said:
Let me start by saying i'm new to the forum so i hope i'm posting in the right place. Anyways my question is this, is there a list somewhere of doner cars that i can get a thicker front and rear sway bar from, everything that i'm reading says F bodys but i must not be sure what an F body is as i took one off an 84 camaro this morning and lined it up with another 84 cutlass ( same as my car) in the junkyard and it was definetly to wide. I'd really like to do this upgrade but i'm just not sure which cars would be a straight swap?

Third gen F bodies which should be 82 to 92, that's what I got mine off of. You can find three different sizes on the f bodies, i believe a 32mm,a 34mm and a 36mm. I have a 34mm I picked up thinking it was a 36mm and I have a 36mm on my car I picked up after finding out my first one was a 34mm.

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
Ok, but exactly what is an F body, are camaro's not included in that? like i said the one i pulled this morning was from an 84 camaro and it was way to wide to fit?

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
rangertom said:
Ok, but exactly what is an F body, are camaro's not included in that? like i said the one i pulled this morning was from an 84 camaro and it was way to wide to fit?

F body is the camaro, firebird platform. My 36mm bar came off of a firebird. The 34mm I have came off of a camaro, and fits fine.

Check this out, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_F_platform

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
I learned really quick to post your location, there are alot of great people on here and they will offer alot of help. You may find some may be real close to where you are located. There are quite a few that have posted up needing help and some don't think twice about hopping in their car and driving over to lend a hand! By the way welcome to the forum!

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
Great news today, Finally found a set of sway bars off a 92 camaro. Now i just need to figure out how to mount the rear bar, i'll look around on here and hopefully someone has some pics of theirs....

martin.ca

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2008
Wet Coast of Canadia
rangertom said:
well dang, here i was all excited...lol, so is there any rear sway bar out there that is plug and play so to speak ?

Yes, any g-body rear sway-bar. There's to types, one with a curve that matches the diff, and one that's straight but longer to miss the diff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor