System Update Info / Bugs / Etc.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Looks like I'm butting up against the limits of the current server (which is great news actually) and in the next week I'll be moving the site over to the new machine. That should come with a much needed software update as well.

Hopefully everything goes off without a hitch. If you see a message about the site being disabled/offline, it means the new server is up and running, but your DNS hasn't quite updated yet and you're still seeing the old machine. Give it a few hours and it should fix itself. I have to lock the database to move it properly, so you'll see that until you're actually using the new server. I don't have an exact ETA, but it should happen real soon now™️....

Just an FYI if you're seeing errors in the search page for example, or you get that message that the site is disabled/offline. Know I'm working on it 😅

Reactions: 6 users
I used to be in IT in a former life...I have scheduled scripts that run on my personal workstation hourly, daily, weekly etc. that do various things.

One of the things is to run:

IPCONFIG /flushdns

to regularly flush my local DNS cache from any state entries, but it seems changes propagate so much faster now than in the past and most sites lower their expiration TTL's leading up to a changeover that speeds things up too.

Thanks for all you do keeping this great site up and running for the rest of us.

👍👨‍💻

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, getting ready to lock the database and get this done real soon. There will likely be a couple of bumps, but I've moved a few sites already and its been relatively painless. This one will take a bit longer since I need to update the software right after. If it fails I just switch the old site back on lol.

Hold On GIF

lol so I guess the "current" theme isn't quite ready for the next major version update.... and I'm not sure it actually will be.

Stand by, I'm working on it. Until then, its gonna look like grandma's car. bone stock and ugly af. You'll know when that happens bc the default style will change. Yeah, I know, I didn't dig quite deep enough when checking stuff that should work (!) ... 😥

I'm on it. Guess I know what I'm doing today lol.

finally got the search indexes rebuilt. now to dig in and figure out why these styles don't want to work any more. Stand by.

Everyone SHOULD be on the boring default style. If you're not, you're probably not able to see this and wondering what's going on.

Reactions: 1 users
OK, light and dark mode are active again. It *should* be using your system setting, unless you've already explicitly changed it. If you scroll WAY down to the bottom left you should see a little round half-moon looking thing where you can change that.

Screenshot 2024-07-15 121118.png

starting to look better from here....during the cutover, some other AI "artist" site was randomly coming up strangely enough...I didn't grab a screen shot but figured it's just related to the changeover...host header wonkiness, dns or who knows....??

I don't envy you, or miss those post maintenance/code release periods from back in the day working through all the reported issues as they would come in from our first level support folks

keep up the great work!!

yeah that was another site of mine sticking its head out there during the switch. never fails.

Looks like I've got a few more bugs to work out, the "reply" and "+quote" buttons on a thread don't seem to actually do anything now. So there's that.

The "default" style has come a long way, and I might just run with it for now.

If there are any other bugs, this is the place to report them.

aaaaand wouldn't you know it, the author of the styles we were using suddenly released an update... and it looks like its going to work. I'm using it as we speak, and will be tweaking it back to more like what you all are used to. stand by.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor

Back