t5 dog box

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
So its been a while since.l posted anything (missed you guys p.s. We need a Portland Oregon meet) and I have since then (last spring) build a 650HP 406ci sbc for my regal and we drag raced it a little last summer. Since its a 14:1 engine its not really street driveable (atleast not very far) so we are going to pull it and bring the compression back Down to a reasonable level. Im also completely redoing the interior and moving away from the drag race thing and more towards the protouring thin. Along with new paint (black) and various safety upgrades.

So now the delema I currently have a th400 and its great but I want a 5 or 6 speed. That being said gmy engine makes 568lbft of torque (obviously it will be less with the compression drop) so I need a decent transmission. I realize good things cost $ but the cost.of a Richmond or tremec 5 or 6 speed is a little concerning.

A week or so.ago I stumbled apon gforcetransmissions.com they supposedly have a dog box set up for a t5 now I the immediate thought that the t5 is a weak Trans. But the Kit (from what I can gather is $1500) replaces the weak gears and synchros with a square cut dog style set up that will take in excess of 600HP (and alows for clutchless shifting too)

Im curious if anyone has had any experience with this set up? I will be driving it on the street and I dont care about the wine from the square cut gears or the harsher shifting. Im just looking for a durable option that wilk perform well without costinga fortune

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The other problem with the T5 is the light casing. If you get get gears with more of a straight cut you take some of the deflection pressure off of the case but if I were you I'd be looking for a G force case as well. One other upgrade you'll want is a good shifter.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Ditto. Its actually the weak link in most transmissions. A T5 living up to that much torque is a laughable concept. I would see how long they have been in business, and how popular they are. If they are not popular, there is probably a good reason.

I had a buddy wanting to transplant a 6spd into his olds, and the magic number (in Canada anyway) was $5000 to $7000. In the states, you could probably be said and done for around $3500.

With a Chevy powerplant, I would not screw around and go straight for a T56 (or aftermarket tremec, whichever is cheaper...). There are many to choose from now, they have been around for a while. Plus the case is quite robust. Do not go for the LT1 model. They are cheaper, but the clutch options are very limited, and very expensive. They are desirable in the F-bodies, because they are the same dimensions as a 700R4. Get a new cross member, and youre set, the torque arm etc, all bolt up as per stock. With a Gbody, you don't have to worry about that stuff, so go for the LS1.If you don't care about that, the LT1 units are much cheaper (but the clutches are not).

At 568lbft of torque, you have exceeded the trans rating anyway. I would be bold and say, if you stay away from slicks (street tires only), and get a trans shield and DS loop in your car, a stock unit will live just fine behind your engine. If you don't want to risk it, find a junk unit and have it rebuilt by Tick Performance. The Viper units are basically the bench mark for what all these trans companies "Upgrade" the T56 to.

In my T56 ventures back in 2008, I also stumbled across these two companies. If you want a like new STOCK unit, check out these guys; They used to have a line that said they offered remanned units for $1600 depending on stock. These were basically takeoffs that were gone through and repaired as needed. Pretty good deal for a part with warranty.

Here is their warranty;
"The really great thing about buying a Tremec transmission from Standard Transmission & Gear is that we will give you a full one year labor warranty with your new transmission purchase* - even if you screw it up yourself! Even if Tremec makes you pay for the parts! Even if you drop the transmission off the lift! "
http://www.standardtransmission.com/BW_T-56.html

This site is a good resource for replacement parts.
http://www.thegearbox.org/home.html

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
I considered the t56, the only thing that steered me away was the torque rating is only 450 lbfts I will be putting sticky tires in it from time to time and I would hate to break it and go through this again. The t56 magnum is rated for way more then what I make but its pretty spendy

gforce has been around for 14 yrs and apparently has been by prostocks in nhra, Nascar (dont know what level and various forms of road racing. If you google them there are negative comments just like everyone else has but for the mostpart everyone seems happy with there product. The mustang guys are jumping alll.over this t5 dog.box because of the weak t5 that comes in them. I found an article kind've explaining the whole shebang http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/t ... mm_gforce/ they also offer dog sets for the stronger t56 which is a definate thought. But since I found a t5 in the shop the other day the t5 dog set is looking pretty good. But like I said I would like it be durable and if it isnt going.to be I will have to save more pennies

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
There are "bullet proof" 700R4's and 7.5 rear ends in the world too..... :roll:

I think the BW/Tremec 6spd is probably the most robust trans GM has produced in a long time. In my opinion the 450lbft is grossly underrated. It is also 1 part that makes it low, the synchros or the shift fork, and an upgrade to a different material bumps it up to about 600lbft.

The Muncie rock crusher and super T10 were also rated for 450lbft, and a lot of folks have put a lot more to them over the years.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
Valid point. I was just going off of the ratings I have read because I havent had any experience with the t56. A six speed would also be cooler. And a dog box 6 speed would be coolest. Thanks for the input

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
I think its going to come down to cost for you.

But I would definitely caution that you find a few people that actually use the T5 youre considering at the torque level you are producing. Its all good and fun to bench race, but the real world beats out theory.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
True that. I has a few months to research before I pull the trigger. I dont for see me getting.to the transmission point till January or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor