T56 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So I'm sitting on my couch instead of working on my frame swap, LOL, but started day dreaming of when I do an LS & T56 swap. Hopefully next year. I have gathered quite a bit of info on swapping both, but when looking for a transmission, which ones work best? I know I can't use an older LT1 trans, but what about a GTO, or CTS-V version of the T56? I seems that I can a complete dropout from one of those cars, engine, transmission, etc all in one package cheaper than a T56 and an engine separately....

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
GTO is a yes. It has an F-body style tail housing and will be easy. It also has the upgraded syncros with the wider ratio gears like the CTSV. Very good choice.

CTSV is also a yes, with a catch. You have to swap the mainshaft to a GTO main, a tail housing from an F body or GTO and the shift rails. I know this because I am doing exactly this swap. There are some other differences and if you can get a GTO or F body T56 it’s a LOT easier. I will be doing a detailed thread once Tick Performance sends me the parts. Hopefully next month?

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I don't want to mess around with the main shaft. Tailhousing is one thing, mainshaft is another... So the GTO version is fine and needs no mods? Cool. I'll keep my eyes open

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I know I can't use an older LT1 trans, but what about a GTO, or CTS-V version of the T56? I seems that I can a complete dropout from one of those cars, engine, transmission, etc all in one package cheaper than a T56 and an engine separately....
A friend of mine got an entire dropout from one for $7500 out of Philly. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was a GTO- engine, trans, ECM, driveshaft, pedals, harness, aluminum 5.7/ T56.
Another friend had issues trying to piece his together (Vette LS7 engine / CTS-V trans). Apparently, there are differences in the bellhousing depths or something. He was having problems with finding the right t/o setup.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Check out the differences in gearing between the F body and GTO T56's in the applications section of this link....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg-Warner_T-56_transmission
The GTO T56 has a steeper first gear and a little steeper 6th gear. I like the F body 1st gear and the GTO 6th better, which is the beauty of the T56 Magnum (stronger aftermarket version) but the Magnum is expensive. Either setup (F body or GTO) will work well but will require different rear gearing for an optimal setup. There is a small difference between the F body and GTO T56's where the pivot ball of the shifter goes in. The GTO shiter is offset rearward relative to the F body shifter. All this means is if you have a GTO trans and want to use an F body shifter you will need to change the little metal block the shifter pivot ball interfaces with. It is not expensive or complicated. You will likely want a F body shifter. The GTO shifter will likely be too far back for your liking.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Gotcha. That helps guys. I have a GN 8.5" with 3.42's now, hoping I don't have to change that since many Camaros had that gearing...

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Gotcha. That helps guys. I have a GN 8.5" with 3.42's now, hoping I don't have to change that since many Camaros had that gearing...
What tire size (rear) are you running/plan to run?

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
What tire size (rear) are you running/plan to run?

Currently a 245/50/16 but hopefully by this summer 275/35/18 on all four corners. I actually have two 275/45/18 that I got for free but they are pretty tall for the rear.... might use them just burn off though :)

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Tremec has a great calculator on their site to help figure it all out. I spent a half hour one day micromanaging my details. Lol

I guess I'm lost as to why I need to use the calculator.... same height tires that Camaros use, same engine, same trans. What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor