T56 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The F body T56 has a 2.66 1st gear. 2.66 x your 3.42 rear axle ratio = 9.1 final drive ratio in 1st gear. That's right in the sweet spot.

A 275/35/18 is a 25.6" tire which is a little on the short side.

At 80 mph with the F body 0.50 6th gear you will be turning only 1,800 RPM. At 60 you will be turning 1,347 RPM. This is geared kinda high (numerically low). This is what a lot of people have against the 0.50 6th gear in the F body trans.

With the GTO trans. 2.97 1st gear x your 3.42 rear = 10.2 final drive ratio. That's a little steep. Add in those short tires and it is likely to seem a bit steep.

At 80 mph the GTO 0.56 6th will have you turning about 2,000 RPM. At 60 you'll be turning 1,500 RPM. Better but 6th is pretty high on both transmissions.

Either setup will work with that 3.42 but you won't need or use 6th gear much. I usually shoot for 2500 RPM at 85 mph (you have to be able to do 85 or better here in Texas on the open road or you are getting run over).

Let's take a look at the T56 Magnum with your rear end and your proposed 275/35/18 tire....

The magnum (wide ratio) has the F body 2.66 1st gear and has a 0.63 6th. At 80 you'll be turning 2,300 RPM. At 60, you'll turn 1,700 RPM. That's a much more usable 6th.

My brother has the 2.66 1st gear behind his 6.0 LSX with a 3.42 rear in his 78 Camaro. When he takes off at a traffic light, he has to let off the gas as soon as the car is rolling because the car is zippier than the rest of the traffic. I don't think you want a steeper 1st gear than 2.66 with a 3.42. The GTO 2.97 first gear would be better suited to a 3.08 rear gear.

The 0.50 and 0.56 6th gears in the F body and GTO T56'S are for highway fuel economy. They are fairly unresponsive to throttle input unless if you are at high speeds (80+). They really need a 3.73 rear gear but that is getting a little low for the F body 2.66 and way too low for the GTO 2.97.

You can see how the wide ratio Magnum is the best of both worlds but the thing that sucks about it is it is so expensive.

This is not to discourage you. I'm trying to give you some insight on how to use transmission gear ratios, rear axle ratios and tire height to optimize your combination. Here are my favorite links for calculating tire heights and rpm's...

http://www.wallaceracing.com/tire-aspect-calc.php

http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

My suggestion is if you get a deal on a transmission, be it F body or GTO, go for it then optimize your setup with tire height and rear gear. Let me know if I can help.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
My suggestion is if you get a deal on a transmission, be it F body or GTO, go for it then optimize your setup with tire height and rear gear. Let me know if I can help.

This is why. Helps a guy plan his combo. There is a big difference if you pick a 26” tire height over a 28” tire.

I went with a 3.90 rear gear because it gives me a 6000rpm shift at 43mph in first and a 1650rpm Highway cruise at 70mph with an M10 gear set. It’s a 5mph difference in first compared to the F-body gearset.

The GTO has a lot of differences inside compared to the F body. It’s an upgrade as the T-56 got vette guts in 2005 and the F body was disconnected before the changes.

Just trying to help with some info.

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Gotcha and I appreciate the schoolin! I guess im just so used to my Muncie M21 and the close ratios that i never really thought about it. I really love the trans, but no overdrive makes is about impossible to use on the highway. Most traffic is going 75 around here and im spinning 3500ish and watching my gas gauge drop like a rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor