Tailgate lock

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Some relevant pictures....

What you'll find when you get the trim panel off.

IMG_1139[1].JPG

After removing the plate.

IMG_1140[1].JPG

Here you can see the lock retainer under the spring...which is in reality to the right of the spring from behind the car

IMG_1143[1].JPG

I "THINK" you might be able to slide the lock retainer out through the gap on the right of the latch

IMG_1144[1].JPG

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Sorry, last pic sux...was holding glass up and trying to photo in the rain. Pretty sure you can try working through the break in the trim panel and slide the retainer off. l

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Great pics!! I did not know about the protective plate. I can't see where the electrical release cable would hookup. Jack, when you rigged the electric release, where did the cable attach? I would use that for an emergency release. Maybe run a hood release cable mounted to the inner panel. Kind of like how trunks now have an emergency escape handle inside.

Reactions: 3 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I got it open after pulling out on the top of the inner panel and pushing down on the right lever. I have this video to share first then some other interesting stuff to follow

• Winner

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well done. I will have to open that up and see for myself someday. Sometimes it is hard to get mine open. I don't want to wait and be in your predicament.

Reactions: 1 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Test backup latch release. I'll show the fab process next

• Winner

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Here's the latch pull I made. The access will be via removing the tag light

After removing the tag light, drill a hole through the inner sheet metal so a coat hanger section can extend up through the hole. Leave the hanger section long at this stage.

IMG_2745.jpg

Make a loop in the upper part of the hanger wire that will be attached to the release lever.

IMG_2746.jpg

Drill and tap the lever for a panhead machine screw

IMG_2747.jpg

Secure loop to release lever

IMG_2748.jpg

Once the upper part is secure, go to the bottom part and cut the excess hanger wire. Make sure to leave enough excess to make a loop at the bottom that will hide neatly under the tag light.

IMG_2750.jpg

Remove the hanger wire and bend the lower loop

IMG_2752.jpg

Reinstall the hanger wire and test by pulling with pliers. Here's what the loop at the bottom should look like. Install tag light and you are done

IMG_2754.jpg

• Winner
  • Creative

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
Here's the lock and wing assembly removed. If you look close you can see that one of the tumbler springs puked out of the cylinder. I have the old lock mechanism and I'm hoping to get parts from it to repair this cylinder. I know that old cylinder got previously drilled out but it still has at least one good tumbler spring in it.

IMG_2755.jpg

• Useful

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
And here's the discovery that blew my mind. This car came equipped with electric tailgate release and I didn't even know it. After seeing the motor in the tailgate I open the glove box and found the release button. I tested for power at the button (ignition on) and it had 12v. I pushed the button and heard the thunk back in the gate but the glass would not open. I went back and showered the entire mechanism in the tailgate with my lube of choice (acetone / auto trans fluid 50-50 mix). Waited a minute for it to soak and hit the release button again. Hot damn, the glass popped open, it works!

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

• Winner

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I took the lock cylinder apart and the springs are destroyed. Not a big deal because a replacement assembly is cheap and readily available. Dorman available on Amazon for $20

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor