Tailgate lock

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
On the 79 Wagon the tailgate lock stopped working and I can’t open the gate or the glass. Will I be able to remove the service panel by climbing into the back so I can get it open and remove the lock?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Remove the license plate pocket. Should be able to access the lock from there.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Remove the license plate pocket. Should be able to access the lock from there.
As I recall that’s bolted on from inside. You can get the trim panel off but it’s gonna damage it because there are screws on the side of it

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Mine got jammed. I tried to open it on and off for a year. Then one random day, I put the key in and wiggled it and the lock at the same time and it just opened. Curse gone. I took the panel off and lubed everything and have not had trouble since.

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Fortunately, I've never encountered that problem before. But wondered what I would do in a situation like that, Trying to remove the trim panel from the inside is surely going to destroy it. As Brian pointed out, there's a few screws that are not accessible with the tailgate closed.
If there's a method of releasing the latches on both sides of the tailgate...hmmm! I wonder.:unsure: I never tried it before.
The license plate pocket is screwed on from the inside of the tailgate, so that won't work.
So, like you guys, I'm at a stalemate.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Maybe the answer is to do something ahead of time, before it happens. Like make a way to release the lock from inside. A removable access panel? A steel rope that just barely sticks out the bottom of the door and can be discretely pulled? I say this because my Jeep has suffered a broken hood release cable three times now. I ran an emergency wire that will release the hood lock and taped it to the inside lip of the hood and covered it with electrical tape to hide it. I am sure something like that can be fabricated, stay hidden, and be there when needed. I don't think I ever had the inside panel off so I am not sure what is in there. But I am going to do something since it seems to be a common problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I suppose I could always drill the lock cylinder out and just replace the assembly. It sucks though because we already replaced the door lock set (driver, passenger and tailgate) so those are all matched. It was a couple years ago but dang, that tailgate cylinder could not have been used more than a dozen times since the car isnt driven that much.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I know it is a dying skill, but can't a new lock be re-keyed to match? I do it all the time on my house locks. Every factory manual I have ever seen had a section on re-keying locks.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I know it is a dying skill, but can't a new lock be re-keyed to match? I do it all the time on my house locks. Every factory manual I have ever seen had a section on re-keying locks.
Mark,
I've had a spare tailgate lock re-keyed to match my door locks in the past. Drilling out the lock cylinder and sticking a screw driver thru might be the answer...or a locksmith might be able to open it. I'm not sure.
I do like your idea of setting up a fail safe system to be able to release the tailgate lock without hurting anything. As for cutting an additional access door in the plastic panel, I don't know about that. Finding replacement tailgate panels are like trying to find the elusive hen's teeth. They're just one of those unobtainable items.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, I agree with not ruining a back panel unless it was absolutely necessary. I am sure that the lock mechanism can be operated by a wire or cord from outside the door. It will mean opening the panel and eyeballing it all. If it can be routed down to the bottom, where it hangs out a tiny bit, that would be ideal. Or maybe tucked behind the bumper? Or even make an access hole BEHIND the license plate? Unscrew plate, pull wire, open door. I like that idea even more. I have only had one instance where the window would not stay locked. After a lot of grief I fixed it. But the OP's situation has me worried. This needs to be explored further. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor