Taking time off from the GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
My grand prix is good to go for now. I did pick up a new 2008 GP console that I plan to install shortly but I have another big project to work on for now. I also have a 1993 Jeep Wrangler that came with the 2.5 squirrel engine and a five speed. I have painted it, added a 4" lift new tires and rims and had the interior done with black Line X. Its time to do something about that squirrel. I purchased a 1998 Cherokee last night that had been rolled on its side. It has a 4.0 Six with low miles and an auto OD transmission. I plan on swapping them in in the new couple of weeks. Then she will be ready for a beach run.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Well it seems like you did a stand up job on the GP... and I feel you its time to do another project! :wink: I also got burned out somewhat on my GP which this year went by and I didn't do a whole bunch to it. didn't even cruise it for more then half hour.... :| But I did do Jeep projects a while back and had a lot of fun never really did some serious offroading but still fun. Built 2 2000 wj's one Laredo one limited and two xj's one Laredo and the other sport the wj's had the 4.7 and the xj's had the 4.0 great engine imo... 8) got fed up with jeeps this last year and now trying to build my next "offroad" ride which is not really practical but still fun... 2002 GMC Duramax truck! :wink: have fun with your newest project!

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
I love my Jeep but that 2.5 has gotta go. It must have around 90HP now. 65MPH is all you get. The rpms don't max out just the HP. Its not the best riding thing I ever got in but it is fun to drive, especially out on the beach at Nags Head or Hatteras. The Cherokee that my engine is coming out of will easily run close to 100 but then its not a brick either. :rofl:

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
lol yeah I hear you.. the other day I saw a newer wrangler which didn't sound like it had the 3.7... man it had a swapped v8 5.3.. :wink: my buddy has the same 2.5 in his wrangler which i'm starting to plan a engine upgrade, either go the same route your going or do a 4.8, 5.3 swap.... :wink: a Jeep & GM hybrid... 8)

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
leave the "daisy's"(wranglers) alone and stick with the REAL jeeps(87-90 renix xj's!!!)i have a 2 door 90 converted to a closed cooling system,and i must say these lil inline 6's are the bitness!!! i have had ALOT of vehicles,but this xj is the most reliable one to date!!!this thing hits 100 with ease(even with 260,000 on the clock :shock: )and with the taurus injector swap i just installed the throttle response is AMAZING!!! currently looking into bartering my 87 elco for a mint one owner all og 88 xj limited waggy with 56,000 og miles :shock:THEE ULTIMATE SUV!!! i love these JEEPS!!!

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
I was doing some light reading on the Jeep forum and a guy asked how to get more power out of a 2.5. He was told to swap it out for a 5HP Briggs & Stratton. Ouch!

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Any of you jeep guys have interest in this helix power tower 4.7 jeep tbi spacer kit I just found from my old GC ?

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
My old 97 xj has 260k miles and still going my pops is driving that thing everywhere! I wouldn't mind finding a nice clean xj and building a trail rig if only I didn't have so many projects! :mrgreen: I really like xj's.....

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
The ZJ donor I bought would have made a great trail rig. It had been slow rolled after pulling off of the road in a downpour and just bent the roof and a few panels. What are a few dents on a trail rig? Right at 100,000 miles and $400.00 with four new tires on it. I'm trying to decide now on what transmission and transfer case to use in the YJ with the 4.0. The ZJ came with a electronic auto four speed but I can not find any info in wiring it into a YJ. It came with a NP249 full time transfer case. It doesn't get rave reviews.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
Well I lucked out today and found an AX15 five speed with a Hurst shifter and a 231 transfer case for $240.00 total. It looks like I am ready to start the swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor