Tapping into the brake light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So on my 86' regal with a 200R4 I am installing a B & M lock up controller and it says to tap in the brake light switch so that when you hit the brakes it disengages the lock up.
So is the switch normally closed when the brake pedal is not depressed or normally open?
Is this as simple as tapping into a wire on each side of the switch or is there more to it?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
one wire is always live so you don't want to tap into that side or the lock up will never engage

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
RTFM, read the f--king manual. you want a normally closed switch which supplies power to lock up. when you step on the brakes, it will stop power flow and unlock the converter. review page 4 wiring schematics

https://documents.holley.com/70244.pdf

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Get a 4th gen F-body brake switch and pigtail out of a bone yard. It has both NO & NC switches and bolts right in.
thats a great switch, i have several in my spare parts bin for future use.
but so is his factory switch that is already in the car and wired up. he just needs to use the correct wire coming out of the switch.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This F-body switch you speak of, it's the early one? p/n 10194425?

Connectors would be GM# 12117354, (ACDelco # PT487) for the 3 prong, and GM# 12085488, (ACDelco # PT110) for the 2 prong, which is a super-common GM connector from door switches to coolant and brake light stuff.

If you snag any of these switches, they were used in 93-94 (and early 95- not sure when they went to 2nd design) F-bodies, as well, the same year Silhouette, Lumina APV, and Transports. The part number should be on the connector side of the switch so if yo use 10194425 on it, you're golden. As stated, snip the wiring and get the harness connectors too. If you buy them, you're looking at around $20 at the cheapest for the pair!

The switch is disco'ed, and no aftermarkets that I'm aware of.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
any idea what the differences are between 1st and 2nd design switches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor