tbi 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl_graham2001

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2008
is there a way to adjust the idle of a 4.3 non vortec tbi .it is in a 93 blazer.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
first of all, all 4.3s that were ever put into a Blazer were Vortecs. Vortec is a cylinder head design. The newer engines that have "Vortec" badgine on the upper intake plenum are actually a Central Port Injection; and single central injector that sends fuel to all of the cylinders intermitently via comkputer controlled poppet valves. (this engine is junk due to cheap plastic sh*t, so be happy you have the downgraded Throttle Body Injection. I love mine!!) But to adjust the idle of your Throttle, the only way to do this is by adjusting your throttle screw. It's on the front side of the base, next to the throttle cable, but it should be covered by a plastic plug. This is because GM HIGHLY discourages the adjustment of this screw, though i can't remember why, but either way, I would suggest you listen to them. You Idle is controled by the IAC (Idle air control) on the right rear side of the base. It looks similar to an O2 sensor, but with 4 wires instead of one. It's an ECU controled component and cannot be adjusted, so if you are having problems with your idle, I would recomend that you replace this. it's only like $40 bucks at your local parts store. But it could also be your Throttle Position Sensor giving a bad reading.

I have GMs component manual for the 220 Throttle body. It explains how to rebuild it. i can scan them for you if you want

carl_graham2001

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 13, 2008
thanks for the help ill go buy the parts before i mess with anything else

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
2fit661ca said:
first of all, all 4.3s that were ever put into a Blazer were Vortecs...
Say what? :wtf: What about the '88-'92 4.3 Blazers... before going into too much explanation I have had a couple 1st gen. S-Series trucks in my time, so I've done my own reading & have been on the S-Series.org forum for several years (haven't posted in quite some time though).
This was my only question about your post though ;)

Haynes manuals & I believe even Autozone's site will explain how to test said sensors/valve (TPS is a simple voltage/resistance check, not sure about IAC though). Another possibility could be a vacuum leak... just a thought if the other stuff checks out... also see if the throttle moves freely (both with & without the throttle cable).

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
2fit661ca said:
first of all, all 4.3s that were ever put into a Blazer were Vortecs. Vortec is a cylinder head design.

okay..... NO

there is definitely a vortec and non vortec 4.3

two completely different vin codes

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
Doober said:
2fit661ca said:
first of all, all 4.3s that were ever put into a Blazer were Vortecs...
Say what? :wtf: What about the '88-'92 4.3 Blazers...
I own an 89 S10 Blazer with the TBI 4.3. It's my pride and joy. Hell, I even bought the GM Blazer repair manual for 89, the Component repair manual, the dealer brochure, and the full truck line brochure for it. :mrgreen: According to the Full Truck Line brochure, the 4.3L in the 89 Blazers was a Vortec, but at the moment, that is all I have for evidence of it.
SCAN0004.jpg

SCAN0005.jpg

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
Doober said:
adumb said:
2fit661ca said:
first of all, all 4.3s that were ever put into a Blazer were Vortecs. Vortec is a cylinder head design.

okay..... NO

there is definitely a vortec and non vortec 4.3

two completely different vin codes
Yep...
W, X, and Z were the 3 different codes used.
Want more info?
http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=41520

I know not all 4.3s were Vortecs, but all 4.3s that were put into Blazers were Vortec. The VIN X was never an option, the Z is the throttle body injected LB4 motor with Vortec heads (or at least the Blazer versions were, don't know about full size trucks) just as my Blazer has, first made availible to Blazers in 1988, and last offered in 94. In 1991, 92, and 93, a highly modified and fuel injected/turbo was offered in the Syclone, and Typhoon, with an additional RPO code immeadiately following the LB4 code to signify this MAJOR difference. In 1992, the VIN code W or RPO code L35 was offered with Central Port Injection, and was offered as a high output model. To the best of my knowledge, (don't quote me on this) it was only offered until 94. This model also had Vortec heads, but because of the plastic badging on the top of the upper intake plenum, many refere to this motor as being THE Vortec, though it is a coomon mis conception that it is the only Vortec.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
This would be news to me... more info (links), mainly head & fuel system specifics?

Car-Part.com doesn't list any difference in heads, so it lists all interchangeable between S-truck, SUV, and C/K truck. Earliest year there is any difference is between TBI & CPI (VIN Z & W) in '92 on anything S-Series.
Rock Auto doesn't list any difference besides press-in or screw-in rocker studs, and Autozone lists the same parts for S10 Blazer & pickup, and also the same for the full size trucks when press-in studs are used.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframe ... ttype=5304

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor