Feb 19, 2008
heres the deal,

chevy 350 60 over
160 stat
have double puller fan on 3 row radiator (from 2001 maxima) fits perfect
wired both fans to switch, supposed to turn fans on at 186 shut off at 172

all parts brand new, drilled 2 holes in stat for small bypass
no emissions coming from coolant, checked on my gas analyzer

car runs after driving it for a few minutes 190-210, cannot get temp ever below 190 or so usually 200. my question is what is the regular or safe operating temp of this engine.

rear end gears are 3.73 stock and i have 3 speed trans. i havent driven the car past 40mph yet or pushed it.

someone recommended 1 single fan that pulls harder than the 2? am i far off?

these fans never shut off, is this ok?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
190-200* steady temp is perfectly fine for the engine.
where are the temp sender and the sensor for the fans?
is the water pump also brand new? if you just let the car idle, will it overheat? are you sure all the air is out of the system?
i have seen the extra holes in the t-stat cause it to not open fully, causing high temps. it's pretty rare though.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would not be too concerned unless it is going over 220 on a regular basis. Plus, the 3.73 gears will make it run a little warm because the engine is spinning pretty hard constantly. You would need a bigger radiator than the stock 3 core radiator to keep the steady state temperature below where you are at.

As a side note, my 355 ( .030 over 350) runs at 180 on the highway and 190-200 in stop and go traffic. I have the 3 core rad out of a 4 door 307 Cutlass, but I have 3.23 gears and a .67 overdrive.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the electric fans are the shroud also right? do you have them mounted nice and close to the radiator?

BACKSLAP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 19, 2008
thermostat i tried with and without holes now 160

fans are factory fans for 2001 maxima with shroud, i'd say now after driving it in local streets and stopping at lights and all it goes to around 220 at a few times to 230, but there is no boiling over or nothing, i take an infrared reading inside the antifreeze and manual thermometer in the antifreeze it is lower than the gauge says

sending unit and sensor for gauge is in intake manifold

water pump is proform electric brand new it is flowing perfectly as if a mechanical pump was in there.

im thinking the maxima fans and the 300m fans (used as pushers i added on last night) didnt change much, but did change a little. arent that great for an older engine.

maybe one of these single unit becool fans or monstercool fans would work better, anyone else have close to this setup?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i don't think it's an airflow problem. what's the temp do if you just let it idle? if it does the same (with the fans operating at temp) at idle as it does driving then it's not air.
with the temp sender/sensor in the intake you are reading the hottest part of the engine, and it can jump when you hit the gas. judging by your phone number, you're in the Bronx so i figure it's floor the gas--floor the brakes. (at least that's how i drive down there.)
if it goes up a little bit each time you take off, and then doesn't want to come down i'd suspect the radiator.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
temp problem

i agree with megladon6. the sole perpose of a thermostat is to give the radiator time to cool the coolant down. if your thermostat opens at 160 the coolant moves from the engine to the radiator,the thermostat closes.now it's not going to take the coolant very long to heat up and cause the thermostat to open up again,now if your radiator and fans can't cool the coolant in the radiator below 160 the thermostat will stay open causing the motor to over heat!!!!the stock radiator is only good for a 305 with a/c , and a 195 thermostat with a fan clutch. in the summer time and bumper to bumper i had to go to a 180 thermostat a 2500 cfm pusher and fan clutch to keep mine under 200 the only time it gets over 200 is when i drag race it.in the fall,, winter, and spring i put the 160 back in. you mignt try a 180 and see what happens? i hope this helps you :D good luck!!

eddieb1969

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2008
Fort Payne , Alabama
Temp Prob

There are several things you can look at here . One is the size of the fans , they may be running all the time , but they may not be moving enough cfm . We have had this prob before ( race cars ) running junkyard fans that completely covered the radiator. How well are they actually sealed to the radiator ? Airflow , like alot of other things will take the path of least resistance ! Also i agree with the other guys , a lower temp tstat will sometimes contribute to the prob . Also , sometimes electric pumps do not work well on the street . Some have had good luck with them and some have not , alot of factors there . I know they are advertised to sometimes , but i have seen and experienced the opposite .But , as with alot of things you can do some tweaking and make it work , Good Luck !

BACKSLAP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 19, 2008
tuesday morning im going to drop in a 180 thermostat and a bigger fan, remove the 4 fans i have on there now, and just go basck to basics. if i let it run all day it slowly creeps past 220, my knowledge its too hot for this engine.

let me try the thermostat. i havent even pressed this car hard yet, havent passed 50 mph at anytime yet, just taking it easy until i know the lay of the land with this car.

funny thing is im a mechanic for 13 years. back to basics. i'd rather be fixing an electrical problem for a altima, more money in that. lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor