Testing an electric fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chlorin8ed

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2011
I just bought a mark vii fan with a bosch relay and derale temp. control. It came prewired from the previous owner. I have not have a chance to check out the controller or relay (acutally dont know how to :? ). But, I thought, I would try the the fan out first.
The wiring from the PO seemed weird to me. It has the neg. side of the fan going the temp. control (with an in line fuse) and the positive side also with an in line fuse. this does confuse me. but to my question.

I hooked up a jumper directly to the battery and fan. (+ to + and - to -) it did not turn on. :( I tried every combination i can think of.The fan motor has three wires. Left side (+) middle (?) and Right side (-)

So, am I missing something to test the fan?

PS I am noob when it comes to electrical stuff and relays :oops:

canadiantbone

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2011
British Columbia
one of the wired is ground , the other 2 should be power (it should be a 2 speed fan )

chiguy109

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2011
1 wire is 12v t cooling the other is 12v t higher speed for a/c the other is ground if u still have the temp switch conected its not going to come on the switch works off heat so ground before switch should come on

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I have the same fan except it came out of a ford thunderbird. The ford thunderbirds, mercury cougars, and lincoln mark viii's got these fans. The wires you have should be black (ground), blue (low speed), and the last wire being orange and black (high speed for when AC is on). This is the two speed version.

There are one speed fans that are the earlier versions, in which the middle and last 12 volt wires are part of the same circuit, thus fan speed is the same on either wire. I hooked mine up to a battery charger and it worked just fine, but I tested it before it went into the car. Even doused the motor in oil cause it has a small squeek going and it had been sitting in my local dry texas junkyard for a while.

Chlorin8ed

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2011
I disconnected the plug from the fan and ran jumpers directly to the fan to see if it works. It did not. So maybe I am missing something.
Here is a diagram of the wiring from the previous owner. It seems to me it has 2 positives with the 2 fuses, but I am sure someone can help me understand this and test the fan to see if it works.

MarkVIIIFanWiring-PO.jpg

sorry it looks small, not sure how to make it bigger or even if I can (it was done in word paint)

Chlorin8ed

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2011
Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Chlorin8ed said:
Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

It's an electrical motor, like any other. If you have a ground and power connection to the motor and it still does not work, I'm going to have to say that the motor is no good.

Chlorin8ed

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2011
Thats what I thought, I will try it again. Does anyone know why it would have a fuse on the neg. and positive side?

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Chlorin8ed said:
Thats what I thought, I will try it again. Does anyone know why it would have a fuse on the neg. and positive side?

Maybe what you think is negative is actually the low speed or high speed positive. There should be 2 positives, therefore 2 inline fuses, and a common ground(or what you call negative).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor