TH350 vs 2004R

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
86-blk442 said:
You might want to look at g body parts, or maybe even a local parts store. Beware that the factory 3 and 4 speed shifters are different also. They look identical aside from the gate plates. But the ear where the cable clips is shorter on the 3 speed. Stock 4 speed linkage will work with the 3 speed however.

Will the stock 3 speed linkage work on a 4 speed shifter??

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
86-blk442 said:
I can't say for sure but I'm thinking with a little adjusting that it will work. That's all I had to do to make the 4 speed linkage work on my 3 speed.

:blam: Okay so let me make sense of this you have 4 speed linkage on a 3 speed transmission and a 3 speed shifter correct?
Just trying to get as much info as possible

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
That is correct. My original 2004R linkage is bolted to a rev/man th350 which is worked by a factory 3 speed cable and shifter with a gbodyparts reverse pattern gate. My reverse lights and all that work properly too.

MDS_85Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2012
Iowa
I just replaced my 2004r with a th350 and so far every gear including park wants to move the car forward except reverse, it doesnt do anything in reverse. Any idea what that means?

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
MDS_85Cutlass said:
I just replaced my 2004r with a th350 and so far every gear including park wants to move the car forward except reverse, it doesnt do anything in reverse. Any idea what that means?

Did you swap over to a T H 350 cable because from what I gather it may not go all the way into the proper gear without the correct cable. If I'm wrong someone else please, jump in.

bleedchevy

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2011
CaLi
MDS_85Cutlass said:

Did you swap over to a T H 350 cable because from what I gather it may not go all the way into the proper gear without the correct cable. If I'm wrong someone else please, jump in.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
I swapped toba th350 cable because a 4 speed cable will not fit the 3 speed shifter and same goes for a 3 speed cable in a 4 speed shifter. If you hold the cables side by side, you'll notice the plastic ends are different lengths as well as the cables themselves are different lengths. The part where you clip the cable in place on the shifters is different also. The ear is longer on the 4 speed, so the 3 speed cable will not reach the shifter handle, its about 1/8 - 1/4" inch short. I found this all out by trying to mix and match parts thinking both shifters and cables were identical for 3 and 4 speeds, until I put them all side by side.

MDS_85Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2012
Iowa
actually I dont have a floor shifter, I even took the linkage off and changed gears by hand. Im going to go through the shift kit soon to double check if we did everything right.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
MDS_85Cutlass said:
The trans you put in has reverse out in it. Is it a known good unit that was recently rebuilt or in a running driving vehicle you saw running and driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor