TH350C Transmission and a Mild 455

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot get the flywheel to turn again for install of the third bolt.
I noticed the transmission to block transition seems have a slightly larger gap on the passenger side. ( I have approximately a thread on the passenger side and 1/2 thread on the driver side. The gap disappears around the rest of the bell housing.) This bell housing is a dual pattern unit.
If you are referring to the third bolt being one of the torque convertor bolts those should only be installed once the transmission is fully bolted to the back of the engine block at that point the convertor should still spin feely and have a small gap between it and the flexplate.
Sometimes the convertor can slide forward a little and unseat while attempting to install the trans/convertor assembly.
And definitely invest in flywheel turning tool it will make the job that much easier and safer and they are very affordable.

• Informative
Reactions: Garrett1982
For the new transmission, the torque converter has inner threads you can't see and a slot across the smooth sleeve that you can see. If you have to fight to get the flexplate bolts onto the TC, stop and rotate the TC relative to the flexplate. When it's right, the TC will 'clunk' into place on that slot and there will actually be a gap between it and the flexplate. Fail to seat the TC properly and you can wreck the trans when you fire up the engine.

Oh, and fill the TC with at least a quart and a half of ATF before installing it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Garrett1982
I may remove the two bolts already installed between the flex plate and torque converter. I did get a solid click when the transmission was out of the car. Once the trans was placed in the car the converter spun to align with the bolt holes. If the engine would turn by hand I could get to the last bolt. Unfortunately, the bolt is at the top of the bell housing.

I may jack the car up to a higher level and attempted to use a breaker bar on it. I just can't seem to get enough leverage.

Should I remove the bolts already installed between the torque converter/ flex plate and adjust until hearing a click at the converter once more?

I'm guessing a flywheel turner may be a good 25 buck investment.

Thanks for the input on this. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor