TH350C Transmission and a Mild 455

Status
Not open for further replies.
pencero said:
Even asleep dreaming I still pulled up at the shop to have the 200r4 rebuilt instead of going for it - and I have rebuild the TH350 that is why I implied anyone can do the TH350 themself in a well-lit garage with old literature and illustrations on deck it is not hard to figure out. Trying to build a 200r4 as your first trans build, or even your 2nd or 3rd build, would be like someone with no culinary arts degree trying to make a 4-layer wedding cake. It's just not worth the risk of blowing up your at least $400 spent on the 200r4 to risk trying to do it yourself.

Then we come from different schools my friend. Myself, I don't see that big a difference in the way the TH 350 is rebuilt and a TH200R4 is rebuilt. I've done both. It goes together just like a TH350 It just has more parts. The 700R4 I did was a PITA compared to the 200R4.

But, I never turned down a challenge because I know and live the basic rules of mechanics. Know your part, ( books, videos or on the job) Put it back together the exact same way you took it apart, (This is what most fail to do) and Take your time. (Unless your in a shop and it has to be done quickly, your not in a rush at home. Many put pressure on themselves to get it done and thats how you miss things. When you take your time you check over yourself as many times as needed, You get it right.) The only time I mess up is when I'm rushing.

And yes I have messed up but, I Always double check my work and catch mistakes early. And when in doubt, I stop and ask someone who knows if I can't find the solution myself. The only time I say I can't do that is if I don't have the right tools or I can't get the manual to do it right.
I know not everyone can do this, but the ones who are willing to learn can be taught to do anything. I learned that lesson in the military, where a complete KLUTZ can learn to work on a BILLION dollar piece of equipment. How?
Following the instructions. The 200R4 has a lot of them.
T

jetsetw31 said:
but the ones who are willing to learn can be taught to do anything. I learned that lesson in the military, where a complete KLUTZ can learn to work on a BILLION dollar piece of equipment. How?
Following the instructions. The 200R4 has a lot of them.
T

I can endorse that. It was during my service in the Royal Navy that I learned I wasn't a klutz.
Because there were plenty of NCOs who had the patience to show me and others like me how to do something properly. They didn't get pissed because some of us didn't get it first time, they simply showed us again. As I progressed in the service I was able to help others in my turn.
My COs reckoned the best teachers were those who had struggled to grasp how to do stuff. Because we understood the ones we were trying to help wouldn't all get it first time, just like us.

Roger.

Does anyone know how to remove the transmission fluid dip stick tube on a 2004r? It looks like I may be able to pull it out with a hard tug?

I am in process of removing the transmission, drive shaft and rear end from a 1986 442.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts or ideas.

How does one get to the 3rd flywheel bolt at the torque converter? The first 2 are generally accessible with a box end wrench. However, I can barely reach the 3rd bolt. This only allows maybe 3/4" of an inch exposure at the end of the wrench. (Hardly enough to turn it.) Is it possible to turn the flywheel/ engine? What about jacking up the back of the car and turning the wheels?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again guys.

Use a big screwdriver in the flywheel teeth, turn it a little at a time untill the bolt is at the bottom where you can reach it.

Great job so far. Here are some tips.
When you get the last bolt make sure to push the converter into the trans a little. Make sure you get the cooler lines clear. Even loose, if they are near the trans when it comes down, it will pull the lines down. When you undo the housing bolts and pull the trans away from the engine, don't let the trans tilt forward. The converter will fall out and spill a nice amount of fluid in the process. Oh and I hope you drained the trans before you started anything. The fluid makes that trans heavy, hard to handle, and it will get messy fast.
T

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor