TH350C Transmission and a Mild 455

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984Oldsmobile442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2014
Thanks for the tips!

I drained the transmission yesterday. Hopefully, the torque converter won't have much fluid inside.

The drive shaft and all horizontal bracing assembly bolts have been removed. Two bell housing bolts accessible from the engine compartment have also been removed. Otherwise, all cables and cooler lines have been moved out of the way.

My neighbor loaned me a motor cycle/ transmission jack. I am hoping a 2x12 bridging between both legs of the jack will allow the bell housing to be taken completely loose without drama. The center bolt at the tail of the transmission extending thru the cross brace has me be a bit concerned. Can this be tapped out or does the transmission need to be lifted in order to remove the bolt or brace? Does it make sense to remove the transmission tunnel stiffener?

Thanks for all of the assistance. I almost have the parts out!

1984Oldsmobile442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2014
Hello,

I am trying to remove the old TH350C and have ran into some problems at the flywheel. Is there a good way to keep the engine from spinning when attempting to turn the wrench?

Note: The dust cover had been missing from this assembly for several years.

Thoughts: Maybe I could have a buddy hold on to one of the bolts while I go after the other?

I have decided to go with TH350. Money and time ended up being deciding factors.

Thanks again for the assistance.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
You could carefully clamp a pair of vise grips on the flywheel and turn the engine (by hand) until they contact the block remove and re position for every bolt. I've done it that way for years, and if your careful you wont damage the flywheel teeth.

1984Oldsmobile442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2014
Thanks spidereyes455. That worked well.
The old TH350C is now out of the car. I will be hoisting the rebuilt TH350 into place soon.

I will be weighing and posting weight of different components soon.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
After you bash your fingers a couple times you might want to invest in one of these.
http://www.diseno-art.com/images_3/flywheel_turner.jpg
flywheel_turner.jpg

Good for holding and turning flex plates and flywheels.

I'm not sure what you are using to lower and then raise the next trans in but I did a bunch with a floor jack and a piece of 2x6 wood to keep from denting up the pan.

I think if you can get a trans in and out a rebuild/overhaul isn't any harder imo.
Check out ckperformance.com for a 2004r manual if you decide to go that route. Lots of good info in there.

Let us know how you do and which way you decide to go.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
TexasT, (Rich),
That's the exact tool I had in mind...in fact that's what I've used in the past.

1984Oldsmobile442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2014
Does anyone know which wires go to where on a 1976 455 starter? Below is a photo. The starter has the following markings: (S and R) I assume the largest wire and loop go the the main pole of the starter. The second largest loop has several wires attached. The smallest wire is a single. (I no longer have access to my disassembly photos.) Any help would be appreciated.

1984Oldsmobile442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2014
Does anyone know which wires go to where on a 1976 455 starter? Below is a photo. The starter has the following markings: (S and R) I assume the largest wire and loop go the the main pole of the starter. The second largest loop has several wires attached. The smallest wire is a single. (I no longer have access to my disassembly photos.) Any help would be appreciated.

1984Oldsmobile442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2014
I cannot get the flywheel to turn again for install of the third bolt. The vice grips unfortunately will not even turn the rotating assembly? I have used my legs etc etc. Would the tool depicted above give the extra leverage needed? (Maybe harbor freight has one.)

I noticed the transmission to block transition seems have a slightly larger gap on the passenger side. ( I have approximately a thread on the passenger side and 1/2 thread on the driver side. The gap disappears around the rest of the bell housing.) This bell housing is a dual pattern unit.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
It holds and turn the flywheel. You have to flip it around to make it lock into the teeth one way or the other depending upon which direction you want it to turn. Summit sells them, and most parts chain stores should have them, about $20. If you loosen the spark plugs, you won't be fighting the compression trying to turn the engine. Just don't forget to tighten them back up afterwards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor