TH400 / 383 / 373 posi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryebonti123

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2017
1986 regal limited factory 307 2004r 256 rear

Hi guys! I appreciate the input on the rear last time. Had a very successful weekend... changed the factory rear to an 373 posi 87 monte ss. Direct conversion. Dropped in the married 350 th400 combo successfully too! Motor mounts and trans mounts lined up great.
Now for all the connections on the trans. 1) transmission lines- can i get these from an auto parts store? Any recommendations? I just purchased a trans cooler... no over heating here! 2) speedo line. Does the factory one line up? I believe i need to change this because of the new gearing... not sure how that works. 3) what am i missing lol. First time doing a trans install.
Thanks!!

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You could bend your own, just about any trans cooler lines will not fit right. Added to the fact the damn websites never have the actual photo of the actual item. The speedo cable itself should be long enough, might need to change the gear in the trans. If not, I'd just deal with it.

Why go TH400? Those are kind of a pita to put in a g body, the th2004r is a better trans for a driver or anything that will see any highway use. One that's mildly beefed up with a shift kit and properly adjusted tv cable will work wonders. Not all Th2004r's are the same though. The monte SS, 442, and GN all had better Th2004r's than were in say, your car.

Ryebonti123

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2017
I would've preferred to go with a 2004r but money was is a factor and i got a great price on the th400. I was figuring i may have to bend them... im not familiar with a kick down linkage on it.

You could bend your own, just about any trans cooler lines will not fit right. Added to the fact the damn websites never have the actual photo of the actual item. The speedo cable itself should be long enough, might need to change the gear in the trans. If not, I'd just deal with it.

Why go TH400? Those are kind of a pita to put in a g body, the th2004r is a better trans for a driver or anything that will see any highway use. One that's mildly beefed up with a shift kit and properly adjusted tv cable will work wonders. Not all Th2004r's are the same though. The monte SS, 442, and GN all had better Th2004r's than were in say, your car.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
either bend your own, or buy some stainless braided line and some AN fittings, clip em up out of the way (zipties), and off ya go.
A Th2004r uses a tv cable to control pressures in the transmission at different throttle positions giving you different gears. Really, it just has to be fully extended at full throttle, and mostly level with the engine. A Th400 uses an electronic switch that uses throttle position, to downshift. Some aftermarket kits use the linkage at the carb, I think GM used a switch (kind of like the brake light switch on the brake pedal) that would connect the circuit when you were at 3/4 throttle and above to trigger the downshift solenoid. No TH400s ever came in a g body, but they were in use until 1991 in trucks (called the 3L80 from 87-81) when the 700r4 took it's place. There are kits to make it work.

Ryebonti123

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2017
either bend your own, or buy some stainless braided line and some AN fittings, clip em up out of the way (zipties), and off ya go.
A Th2004r uses a tv cable to control pressures in the transmission at different throttle positions giving you different gears. Really, it just has to be fully extended at full throttle, and mostly level with the engine. A Th400 uses an electronic switch that uses throttle position, to downshift. Some aftermarket kits use the linkage at the carb, I think GM used a switch (kind of like the brake light switch on the brake pedal) that would connect the circuit when you were at 3/4 throttle and above to trigger the downshift solenoid. No TH400s ever came in a g body, but they were in use until 1991 in trucks (called the 3L80 from 87-81) when the 700r4 took it's place. There are kits to make it work.

Wow ty! I'm looking into a electronic kick down kit now. they're not cheap...100 bucks about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor