Not open for further replies.

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
Re: 81 malibu "PROJECT 3 SPEED"

Blake442 said:
kuruption109 said:
...im not worried about the heat my job is less than 10 min away...

Well, that may be... But don't you plan on driving to places other than work?

Maybe a cruise? A buddies house? Even just a joy ride?

Removing that stuff on a street car is something I'll just never understand... :?
ive owned over 10 gbodys all but 1 didnt have ac and ive been in arizona since 03 and ive adjusted to the heat so its not a neccesity for me....

bigjoenvegas

Master Mechanic
Dec 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Did you use an aircraft paint stripper chemical to get all that paint off or did you use a 4 1/2 grinder with a paint stripper wheel? Or both?

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA

bigjoenvegas said:
Did you use an aircraft paint stripper to get that paint off or did you use a grinder with a paint stripper wheel? Or both?
both...

adam6640

Greasemonkey
Apr 30, 2008
Hugo Ok

Just my opinion I can't imagine taking the heat & air out of any car, how much performance are you really going to gain, and what will it do to the resale value, unless it is strictly for the strip, even then who is going to want it when you are over it and want to sell it, there are so many gbodies out there all stripped out,check ebay for a malibu sometime the majority for sale sometimes are stripped out unfinished, again these are just my opinions, I hope I didn't offend anyone, and good luck with all your projects.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX

Only reason I did take mine out is because the thing didn't work. I could get a little heat out of the defrosters but that was it. The AC pump cluttered up the motor, along with the emissions, and made the car look like sh*t.

My main reason for taking it out was because the AC/heater air box under the hood took up a lot of space and prevented me from getting around my headers and to the starter wires. I had scorched a few wires and needed to replace them. After finally getting all that out, I'm grateful I did cause now I have a ton more space and can maintain the passenger side of the motor a lot easier.

Main reason malibus, cutlass, and g bodies in general are gutted is because they're excellent drag bodies and aren't worth any money. Only time I've seen people make a profit or get money back out of selling a g body is if it is a top of the line car such as a monte carlo aerocoupe or grand national. The Hurst Olds and T-types will occasionally bring decent money, but nothing to wet your pants over. The cars from the early 70's are just now starting to bring decent money, but it seems like after 1973-74 cars just aren't worth sh*t unless its a decent vette and even then, the vettes were POS's in the late 70's and 80's.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali

Thanks K i just checked my cardomain page lol i guess you went to work on that body. im glad my pics gave you some motivation but now im right back on your build doin the same. i got some headers now, they fit perfect but i need to send them out for ceramic coating so in a couple weeks i should be good.

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA

thanks fellas for checkin my build out... i got some more work done today

but anyways i didnt want to spend 60 70 bucks for a ac delete plate so i made my own i had the template already just bought material an 30 min later got my own delete plate

started with this....
100_1001.jpg

after cutting the panel out i test fitted it...
100_1002.jpg

then i hit it with the paint stripper wheel...
100_1005.jpg

i just sprayed some paint on it right quick i will have it powder coated
100_1006.jpg

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali

heres a tip
i just jacked this off of my cardomain page so i wouldn't have to type it all up again

Since i havent seen any other g-body guys do theres like this i decided to do mine because i think it's a great idea and mod to do with your ac plate. Just get yourself some FATMAT sound deadner, roller and thats it, my 3 facts why are below.

#1 keeps heat from trying to enter the car and reduces the amount of road noise you hear inside of the vehicle

#2. These ac delete plates do not come with a gasket and bolting them together on your firewall is metal to metal which is not a good thing. the small gap between the metal will allow water to leak and thats something i want to avoid

#3. It just looks cool

DSCN5100.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor