Thanks/78 malibu factory 4 speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I found the numbers on the amount of standard shifts, as I recall there were less than a couple thousand per year manufactured. Before I installed the Muncie I did quite a bit of research and I found one in Texas on craigslist and I offered to buy it as a donor for mine. The guy backed out of the deal. I found another on craigslist in PA and it was gone the next day. I then found a guy in the Midwest and he had a couple of them. We corresponded a couple times via email and I never heard back. Needless to say they are rare with a lot having a 3 speed saginaw. I have never seen an original. Welcome to the forum from SW Georgia

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
So with the rarity established, does anyone think those factory stick cars will ever be worth anything later down the road?

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
Make sure it's in the right folder. If need be, create a special folder on the desktop of the computer. Also make sure it's going to the right place in the computer, like documents, desktop, downloads, pictures, etc.

Sry MrSony, I must have missed your post yesterday. I have them in a folder on my desktop. When I click that photo it pretty much said no photos available. I'll keep trying though. Thanks!

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
I found the numbers on the amount of standard shifts, as I recall there were less than a couple thousand per year manufactured. Before I installed the Muncie I did quite a bit of research and I found one in Texas on craigslist and I offered to buy it as a donor for mine. The guy backed out of the deal. I found another on craigslist in PA and it was gone the next day. I then found a guy in the Midwest and he had a couple of them. We corresponded a couple times via email and I never heard back. Needless to say they are rare with a lot having a 3 speed saginaw. I have never seen an original. Welcome to the forum from SW Georgia

I picked mine up like 18 years ago maybe a little longer for $1200 in Smithburg Md. The guy that had it, bought it from the original owner and he never put it on the road so the title I got is still a one owner. At that time I actually had another 78 malibu, I just swapped my tags and drove her (never transferred the title either).

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the site mystre71. There is lots of info here, and lots of good people. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of your Malibu. I have a 1980 Malibu that's a factory 305/4 speed car.
As for prices of these cars (and the '78-'88 A/G body cars in general) going up, in my opinion, its starting to look like good examples are starting to fetch higher prices.
Recently, I've seen ads for a couple of 4 speed Malibus. There was an ad for a clean 1980 4 speed Malibu in eastern Canada, and the asking price was $15,000.00CDN. Here in Ontario, there is a modified 1979 4 speed Malibu for sale, and the asking price is over $20,000.00CDN. I don't know how much they'll actually sell for, but the prices would suggest that prices are starting to go up.

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
Welcome to the site mystre71. There is lots of info here, and lots of good people. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of your Malibu. I have a 1980 Malibu that's a factory 305/4 speed car.
As for prices of these cars (and the '78-'88 A/G body cars in general) going up, in my opinion, its starting to look like good examples are starting to fetch higher prices.
Recently, I've seen ads for a couple of 4 speed Malibus. There was an ad for a clean 1980 4 speed Malibu in eastern Canada, and the asking price was $15,000.00CDN. Here in Ontario, there is a modified 1979 4 speed Malibu for sale, and the asking price is over $20,000.00CDN. I don't know how much they'll actually sell for, but the prices would suggest that prices are starting to go up.

Thanks! and thanks for the info. Mine was a 305 as well, but we swapped it for a 327. I actually only got to drive it a few months before an ex had someone sabotage it. I never figured out what they did (thought sugar in the tank). The car would run great at idle and low speeds but if you got up to 45 or so it would developed a huge miss fire, then it would back fire and shut down as if someone ripped the battery out. Nothing we tried would fix it. If I left it sit for a few days then it would start but same issue all over again. I ended up borrowing a buddy's car, and they did the same to his car, I took his to a shop and they couldn't figure it out. Luckily he wasn't bothers about the car. Years later through a friend someone had admitted to the deed but wouldn't say what they did. So, it set for the last 18 years.

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
i'll try and upload some of these again. This was right after the restore, You can see the 79 I had purchase for another build but later sold. I'll try and get a few of the frame removal, sand blasted and POR15 coated later.

malibu.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So with the rarity established, does anyone think those factory stick cars will ever be worth anything later down the road?
It'll be atleast hit or miss for the next few years. I remember over 20 years ago whe I started to get the conversion parts for my Monte (& a few years eailer with mt '72 Montes conversion) I was able to grab up Saginaws dirt cheap (got a deal from one guy all I could carry for $50-3 of them!), but now just the price on a "may need rebuild/gaskets" Saginaw is more that I'd ever expect. For my linkage complete pedals to fork rod was less that $75 shipped ('99), bellhousing was $50+shipping, brand new Comp+ from Super Shops (I miss them) was less than $150 for shifter & install kit, the steel hump was like a $15 swap, the boot/bezel/plastic trim was $10 at a swap meet. I later fell into a '78 stick column w/key for $20 cause the guy wanted it gone.

mystre71

Apprentice
Apr 7, 2018
So, I've been lurking around here last few days since I joined. I'm torn between my original plan of a Fuel injected 383 with a shotgun scoop just peeking out of the hood, to now a possible LS swap. I know very little about the LS swap. What i would like is something that's can be used as a daily driver but still have enough hp to be impressive. I plan on keeping the AC and manual trans. I've seen conversion kits for auto trans here. http://www.southernperformancesystems.com/Parts/LSConversionInstallationKits/78-88malibu.html .......other than needing a manual trans mount of some sort, will this kit be all I need to do this swap ? Right now I have the frame out, sandblasted, POR15 coated, and ready for paint. Anyone here done this swap with AC and manual trans ? Thanks!

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If you have deeper pockets, and you want serious performance, then the LS swap would be your best bet. If your budget is smaller, then you can still go with a strong SBC and manual trans. It depends on what you can afford, and how serious you want to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor