Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2006
IL
85supremenov265.jpg

85supremenov264.jpg

85supremenov263.jpg

85supremenov262.jpg

85supremenov26.jpg

got it for cheap, finally got a chance to load it up and haul it over here today, only a mile away from here

got it from a friend for dirt cheap after the oil pump in the 3.8L buick engine died and froze the crank bearings

it locked after he shut it off

not sure what i want to do with the car yet

hated ot see it go to the shredder so i bought it and saved its life

its was a nice smooth as glass running and driving car, frame and body are all clean no rust at all, obviously was a garage kept car most of its life until recently

interior is mint

what would you do

the only bad thing is that its a 4 door

but the condition makes up for it kinda

cept for the driver side fender dent stuff there

any opinions or ideas or suggestions welcome

if i should do something wih it or sell/trade if off for an old work truck or something

?

thanks

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
i have a 3.8 and trannny with only 84,000 miles on it that i would part with, then you could use it as a every day driver.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
yeah, DD it. If the motor is junk anyways find a V8 motor from the wreckers and get it running again. I loved those models but the back windows do not go down.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I also say make it a DD, but find a rusty-but-complete V8 donor car that runs well and swap everything into it. The V6 is just plain awful to drive every day ( and I should know- I drove mine for 150k miles before the swap!). I would also use the 3.23 axle and th2004R trans in it to give it more acceleration off the line and better fuel economy around town.

mcsslover1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 20, 2007
Yreka CA
I love that car man. my dad bought an 86 in 1990 and drove it until 1998 and I bought it from him. I put 4 unrusty doors and 2 front fenders on it and painted it and I drove it for another 2 yrs with over 200000 miles on it. I wish I could find another one and make a 4 door Hurst Olds or 442 out of it. Something totally different :D

easterwabbit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2006
IL
srercrcr said:
Trade it back for the 78 GP you had.

haha lmao fat chance

that car is long gone unfortunately

it sat so long in a garage untouched not even started once in over 8 years that everything was dry and leaking and the rear frame was rotted the bumper was about to fall off, it had issues, when i bought it i had to bring gas and oil and a battery and fire it up for the first time in those 8 years, and drive it 30 miles to here without having any idea if it would make it, but it did, the 301 engine rattled away for a little while until the lifters finally unstuck and such. the brakes were VERy iffy and i had to be careful and i had to put a new master cylinder on it immediately. it was shot from sitting

car was just too old and sat too long, not being driven at all aged it very quickly

and all the rear body to bumper filler plastic stuff was gone, brittle fell off the car so it looked horrible in the rear, and there was no way to find nmew ones to replace it all, i gave up trying.

it was a grandparent's car in appearance as do most of these cars it seems, and was owned by an 80 year old guy original owner, so..

it was hard to get anyone to buy the car but it ran and drove good and looked clean,

alot of ppl wanted it but wouldnt give any $

it was just a basic bench seat stripped down model

i finally sold the car for only like 600 bucks and the kid never turned the title in or transferred it out of my name and then a friend stole it and i hear id got impounded, its probably been in the crusher by now im sure

i should run the vin online at the dmv records division and see if its still valid or been junked

this has happened a few times in the past

so..

1978grandprix001.jpg

1978grandprix002.jpg

easterwabbit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2006
IL
mcsslover1987 said:
I love that car man. my dad bought an 86 in 1990 and drove it until 1998 and I bought it from him. I put 4 unrusty doors and 2 front fenders on it and painted it and I drove it for another 2 yrs with over 200000 miles on it. I wish I could find another one and make a 4 door Hurst Olds or 442 out of it. Something totally different :D

reliability and smooth riding is what is more important ot me than how many doors it has or what year it is

this 85 was a smooth as glass driving car

and is clean

thats counts alot more to me than it not being a 2 door or whatever

i could care less if it only had one door

or 5

jut because something doesnt fit the mainstream doesnt mean its not cool

theres a billion vehicles out there that dont fit into the mainstream and are badass

too many ppl are quick to judge by appearance and fad and so on, and wont give something different a chance

unfortunately

and just because of that i think im gonna fix the 3.8L in it and drive it and be glad i have the only rust free all original untouched one anywhere even remotely near here

the rust free thing is the big thing, something this old to be rust free completely is SUPER RARE here

you have no idea.

1985 is DAMN old for a vehicle here, like majorly, antique

thanks

easterwabbit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2006
IL
v8power said:
i have a 3.8 and trannny with only 84,000 miles on it that i would part with, then you could use it as a every day driver.
how much and where ?

if its not in central IL then theres no way :-/

thanks

easterwabbit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2006
IL
axisg said:
yeah, DD it. If the motor is junk anyways find a V8 motor from the wreckers and get it running again. I loved those models but the back windows do not go down.

haha yeah i thought the rear door glasses were interesting

i couldnt believe they dont roll down but the wing glasses open

haha amusing

never seen one of these 4 door cutties before

was a new one on me

older cars are uncommon here

hell i didnt evne know they made any 80s FWD hatchbacks until a month ago when i saw one for the first time ever

stuff doesnt exist here in IL

very little does

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor