The Craigslist Leeches

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I always offer trades whether Im buying or selling as I hate bringing something home just to take up more space without making room. You never know what you might have that they cant live without.

I did get some pretty cool offers when I was selling my Impala SS clone. Guy was going to trade me a jet ski that I couldve made some serious money on but I just wanted cash at the time.

I think facebook is great, it allows you to reach more enthusiasts who arent going to ask stupid questions, I think it adds a bit more accountability and you can even rate buyers and sellers now. You can send money with no fees also.

I think the "interested" and "is this still available?" are accidental pocket texts from people.

Whether its CL or FB the thing that pisses me off the most is, after describing the item to the best of your ability, getting the pictures, boxing it up, packaging it perfectly, getting a freight quote, and them telling you "yup Ill send you the money tomorrow". only to never be heard from again.

Got an 86 SS spoiler and set of mirrors boxed up ready to go for someone who ghosted. Whatever

Nov 4, 2012
I just got a text from someone who as obviously a scammer inquiring about the car. They asked in very broken English the price (stated in ad), how many miles (also stated in ad), would I accept $*** (ad says no offers over the phone) then he asked for some more pictures of the car. I sent him the following-

c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636.jpg
c6018a186feaf4e1b1fe3c242855ae2b.jpg

Haven't heard back yet.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Definitely this, I can't tell you how many times I have got that on Facebook as well as Offer Up and Let Go when I say when do you want to come get it. They say oh sorry just have accidentally hit that button
What really gets me, is there's a button that says "NEXT!", and people use it! Like how much of a dick does one gotta be?

fastNYsix

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2017
I just sold an 86 regal on Craigslist l, I was asking 1500 obo. These 2 kids went over this car with a fine tooth comb. He says “The windows go up and down kinda slow”. I’m like dude they were slow in 1986. You want a garage queen go spend 20k. Then he says “ oh the windshield washer squirters don’t work”. Are you kidding me?!

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
I just got a text from someone who as obviously a scammer inquiring about the car. They asked in very broken English the price (stated in ad), how many miles (also stated in ad), would I accept $*** (ad says no offers over the phone) then he asked for some more pictures of the car. I sent him the following-

View attachment 87126 View attachment 87127

Haven't heard back yet.
The first pic looks like " Jamie " on the Progressive commercials.....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
My wife has used the "Douglas County free site" on Facebook to give things away that I get to pay for. First one up gets it, usually there's a dozen NIL's after. Then invariably there is the person who has the sob story about being abducted by aliens after they served 37 tours in Iraq and is having trouble making ends meet with their 56 kids, so can they just skip the line and can you deliver it because they don't have enough gas.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
When I was selling my blue Monte Carlo SS I was close to puting 5 gallons of gas and a lit road flare on the front seat just from the stupid calls. So now I handle it a little different I ancer them with questions

Is it still available? Can you still read the add?
What's your best price? About a thousand more than I have it listed for
Will you take 1/4 the price? Only after I stab you in the neck with a screwdriver
Will you take my POS in trade? Why don't you take it to the scrap yard yourself?
Can you send me more pictures? What's wrong with the 25 or so I all ready posted?
Will you leave your plates on it so I can drive it home? Can I rent out your wife in the ghetto up the street?
Will you guarantee inspection? Pay me and I guarantee it's yours to inspect all you want
What's wrong with it? What's wrong with you can't you read?

And sometimes I tell them how I really feel

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor