The First Century Turbo Coupe I Purchased (Picture Attached)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
That sport wagon photo gets passed around from time to time. I'm not sure they ever built one. I did see one century wagon with the slope back nose, not the normal century sedan nose listed up in Alberta a few years back, but it didn't have the hood or that paint.

However if I ever do repaint my wagon it will get that sport wagon scheme.

I'm torn between really liking that idea or saying keep the woodgrain, both good looks but since so many remove the woodgrain, or it just fades/peels off, I generally support keeping a woody a woody.

Awhile back I went deep into the interweb and down the rabbit hole looking up the sport wagon and could only find one other pic, this one was used in a movie so who knows where it came from, dealer promo or factory leftover they let a studio use(?) but it matches that brochure picture. And also found a thread on a Buick forum talking about these, some links to 79' brochures showing more info. Seems they were available and made but I'd guess pretty few ever were made.

SportWagon3.jpg
SportWagon4.jpg

SportWagon2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Ok, that is one ugly and goofy looking car. But after looking at the picture a couple times, I think I like it! The bird of prey on the side has to be why! Great score man!!! I would drive it!

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Dope

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Thanks so much for all the likes and compliments, really appreciate it and love sharing with people who appreciate the oddities like me. Just added a drivers side picture of the seat.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Did you guys read that thread 81cutlass linked?

Procuction for Century Turbo Coupe for 1979 was 61!?

I'll bet somebody in marketing caught hell over that.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Did you guys read that thread 81cutlass linked?

Procuction for Century Turbo Coupe for 1979 was 61!?

I'll bet somebody in marketing caught hell over that.

It truly is hard to believe I agree, and I TOO have the same copy as posted. A few years back I called GM and had them look it up to confirm. They called me back in a few days and it was confirmed only 61 "TURBO EQUIPPED" sport coupes sold. Without looking in my Buick production book to get the exact #, I recall 1600 and something in 1979 had the "Sport Coupe" Option. ONLY 61 of that were equipped with the Turbocharged 3.8 V6.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
So this begs the question....were there any turbo wagons? I don't have the literature to dig through to see if that was even a possibility

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
So this begs the question....were there any turbo wagons? I don't have the literature to dig through to see if that was even a possibility
Lucky for you I already have researched that option lol...Unfortunately no, no turbo wagons were built. HOWEVER In 1980, the Turbo option was not only available on Coupes, BUT 4 door sedans.

Last edited:
  • Sad

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
So, this pretty much means HAFROD HAS to build that century. Might have been the only one delivered in Oklahoma, we're more of a truck kinda state

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
So, this pretty much means HAFROD HAS to build that century. Might have been the only one delivered in Oklahoma, we're more of a truck kinda state

It would have been really awesome for GM to have a Buick Century Turbo Wagon. Would be such a kkool sleeper for sure!! I've been so tempted to do this to my 1980 Buick Century Wagon, but never have for the simple fact its a 70K virgine, 3.8 V6 with ice cold air FL car. Not many around in nice original shape. If I found one that needed paint ect, that would be very tempting for sure. Im posting a pic of the 1980 wagon. Check it out!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor