The Flat Rate System Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
I'm a student at pursuing a degree in industrial design and working at a shop, its what get the bills payed for now. So I thought I make a thread letting anyone know what the system looks like from the inside, and bring up the good and the bad of it all so others can get a glimpse of what we go through every day at work before they decide to step in the door.
Anybody here on the forum work Flat rate or had at some time? How does/did it work out for you? IMO it's a double edged sword.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I spent 16 years as a flat-rate mechanic. It got to the point where I couldn't afford to do it anymore. I get paid by the hour now, and I can tell you, its WAYY better.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you are doing piece work you make more money if you are quick enough and the rate is fair.

Last edited:

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
I just recently moved into the Flat Rate way. I can tell you right off the bat if the service writers can't manage jobs right forget it.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Body guy here, so flat rate(replacement) and judgement times (repairs).

IMO, the guys that have a tough time are the job-hoppers. If you're in a GOOD shop for very long, and you are a conscientious tech, you can make a good living. If you're lazy or a hack, well, things are not going to be good very long.

I spent 10 years in the first shop, and have been in this one close to 12 years. I feel fortunate that these were family operations, I don't know how guys can work for dealerships or the consolidators. We have had several techs that have left for these "great" offers, only to return looking for a job in a few months.

My hat is off to the mechanical side guys, tough way to make a $, but at least there usually isn't a third party (insurers) telling you what you can charge.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Worked flat rate for thirty years. If your shop is busy and you work hard you can make good money. That being said, I have had to put up with crappy service advisors, idiot managers. Dispatchers that play favorites. Techs that steal by charging for work not actually done. Now that I am retired I can say, That I don't miss any of it. :cool:

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Worked flat rate for thirty years. If your shop is busy and you work hard you can make good money. That being said, I have had to put up with crappy service advisors, idiot managers. Dispatchers that play favorites. Techs that steal by charging for work not actually done. Now that I am retired I can say, That I don't miss any of it. :cool:
Must be nice lol. I agree busy and work hard is the key. I hear stories of mechanics who push out 180hrs a week every week. And I can't wrap my head around that. It sounds fishy.

WordMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 29, 2016
Lenoir City, Tennessee
The guys who come in 10 minutes late, then get a cup of coffee, stand around and drink it, hit the roach coach, stand around and eat that, go take a 20 minute bathroom break, then finally wonder out to grab their first job, never make money, and always complain. The guys who get there early... really early when it's busy, drink coffee while woking on the car, and have two or three jobs going at once, make a good living. My ole man put many a steak on our table. And while I was a tool man, I had to run many a complainer off my truck so I could get to my next stop.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
i am a residential plumber and we use flat rate system here. i know its different then a mechanic but the customer's tend to like do to knowing the price of front.i put in 60 hours a week. when i am on call i can pull in 80 easy.

I'm a body guy also, but our whole shop is hourly. Everyone in the shop has a specialty that he does most of the time. We do have two dedicated painters, but they have to fill in as needed also. It's my brother's shop and he made it this way so he makes sure everything that goes out the door is to his standards, nobody has to cut corners to get their job done right, it pretty awesome. If you screw up and break something, he pays for it too. Couple weeks ago I broke a back glass on a Wrangler, he ordered a brand new one, it cost him $300. 100k miles on it to boot. My bad, he was even helping me when it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor