Flat tappet cam

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
So I have a 350 for my 86 GP. It’s a good running engine, but it’s been sitting for a couple years. Im swapping the intake, oil pan, and doing the timing cover gasket. If it needs a timing chain, I’ll throw one in. This engine was a stock rebuild. I’m on the fence about leaving it alone, or throwing in a mild cam. If this was years back, I’d do it no question. I was looking at a lunati cam.
IMG_9216.jpeg

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
That looks like a copy of the Edelbrock performer RPM flat tappet cam if i remember right. I put this one in my 305 over two years ago:
Probably pushing 9,000 miles on it since then, so far it's doing fine. Not suggesting it, just giving a little feedback on Lunati cams. Mines not that aggressive, so I'm just running new stock valve springs, Comp 1.52 roller tip rockers, headers, and Performer intake on a stock 100,000 mile LG4 longblock.

Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
That looks like a copy of the Edelbrock performer RPM flat tappet cam if i remember right. I put this one in my 305 over two years ago:
Probably pushing 9,000 miles on it since then, so far it's doing fine. Not suggesting it, just giving a little feedback on Lunati cams. Mines not that aggressive, so I'm just running new stock valve springs, Comp 1.52 roller tip rockers, headers, and Performer intake on a stock 100,000 mile LG4 longblock.
I’m more concerned with the high rate of flat tappet lifter failure.

• Agree

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
I used Lunati lifters and lube, along with 8oz. of Lucas TB Zinc-Plus break in additive at break in and another 8oz. for the oil change after break in. Generic 10w-40 since.

Reactions: 2 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
It's a mild cam. A couple other possible adds... Antipump lifters, gives you similar to variable valve timing. Low RPM acts more like stock cam, higher RPM lifters pump up and act more like performance cam.

Or if unhappy with overall performance of that setup, you can try 1.6 ratio rockers. Will get you about 10 more degrees duration and lift just under .500, so if still running stock heads, you should not have and springs binding.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor