The Great Tire Pressure Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
A lot of people,engineers, decided what that pressure should be (for normal operation) second qeuss them if you may.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
A lot of people,engineers, decided what that pressure should be (for normal operation) second qeuss them if you may.
But that's the point: what do you do when you change the tire size from what's on the door jamb sticker? Especially, when the technology on tires has advanced 35-40 years.....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
2 additional psi on the RR takes 1% of wedge out of the car, the lower the pressure the more heat it will build. 6 psi on the LR, keep the sidewall smashed, sipe the tread blocks around the circumference to keep the tire cool on a slick track, across the block when youre trying to get the tire to fire in the heat race deeper the better. Shallow for the feature, grind with a 20 grit and go width wise with the traction grabber.

Oh wait.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
2 additional psi on the RR takes 1% of wedge out of the car, the lower the pressure the more heat it will build. 6 psi on the LR, keep the sidewall smashed, sipe the tread blocks around the circumference to keep the tire cool on a slick track, across the block when youre trying to get the tire to fire in the heat race deeper the better. Shallow for the feature, grind with a 20 grit and go width wise with the traction grabber.

Oh wait.

and the nitrogen you are using works alot better than humid air... :)

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
and the nitrogen you are using works alot better than humid air... :)
The real trick is to suck it down to nothing with a deflator that way there is as little atmospheric air as possible.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
As a once-certified lowest possible level ASE front end alignment tech who has never worked in automotive environment since initial and now-long-lapsed certification from the late 80's (worked at a truck shop before joining the Navy for experience, went to tech school for front end alignment while in the Navy and took the certification- then when I got out of the Navy I worked in everything BUT automotive because it paid way more), I will pose this...

Let's say your car weighs...oh, say, 3,800 lbs without the tires. You go to a larger tire...so now your car weighs...3,800 lbs.

Air pressure is sorta like your springs, the car will sit a certain height with the same weight on it. If you never get in it, or put anything in the trunk, the car height never changes. Change the weight too much, you may need to change the tires. The tires you picked can hold more weight (load rating) so that's good. But it's the air pressure that holds the car up off the ground. Your new tires probably hold more VOLUME of air, but the PRESSURE should be the same to hold up that 3,800 lbs.

Start with the recommended placard pressures on the door jamb or owners manual. Then monitor your tires and adjust according to what you see. If it's wearing faster on the outer edges, add a bit more air. If it's wearing in the center more than the outer treads, lessen the air pressure. If it's wearing unevenly on only one edge, get the alignment checked.

A "now you know" tip: Every tire is the same sidewall height at the bottom when it's flat.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018

Wait, wrong question...

-Gonz

• Haha

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I use 35psi at all times in all my 15" tire vehicles. 40-45 psi in a 16" or 17". Tire wear is perfect. Now, if you want to start a real pissing contest, ask what to use in TRAILER tires.

• Haha

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I use 35psi at all times in all my 15" tire vehicles. 40-45 psi in a 16" or 17". Tire wear is perfect. Now, if you want to start a real pissing contest, ask what to use in TRAILER tires.
Easy. Around here in the South, you don't. You take them off once the blocks are in place. :)

Peterbilt-hooked-to-mobile-home.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Every tire wants what it wants for pressure. If equipped as the car left the factory and used as intended, the pressures on the door are what you should start with. If you start modding, racing, hauling, etc that's when it's up to you to find out what the tire wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor