BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
the black backspacing is going to DRASTICALY compliment the already great looking sprayed pieces!!! i picked up a 1 owner t-topped 80 cutty today(along with 3 more 78,79,and a 80 mc t-topped car,that we are going to be taking that DONEavon approach in regaurds to the celeb tranformation;))for that "his and hers" ploy;)very niCE senor!!!

Thanks brother!
Glad to be a source of inspiration for you. Good luck with the celeb conversion on your 4 new acquisitions. If you think of it, post up some pics of them when you're done for us to see!

Ps - we still need to find me some replacement hardtop trim for that stuff that got damaged in shipping...

Glad to see your back at it. I love those sanding sponges, so many uses!

Thanks Jim!
To be honest, this is the first time I've used these sponges in an automotive application, but now that I have, I can definitely see their potential for all kinds of stuff.
Handy for sure!

And nice to hear from you again. I was wondering the other day how you've been making out on yours...

"Loud audible applause". Happy to see you posting something about the NAUT again Donovan! So many of us are anxious to see what the next trick up your sleeve might be. As usual, your atd is a step above and the results speak for themselves!!! Keep us in the loop my friend, I'm always tuned in for more!
Scott

Scott:
Where do I start? Your posts in response to mine and so many others are just simply awesome. In the literal sense of the word.
You seem to have a way of conveying the passion and love of this hobby in a way that I just cannot.

Your responses are always a treat to read, and they help inspire me and keep me going many times. So thanks very much for that sir!

Thanks everyone.
Donovan

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Glad to see you back at it,Donovan! You posts are addictive!

Doug

Thanks Doug!
Looking forward to getting back into it. Been chomping at the bit, and feeling the old drive to delve back into it again...

He should put up some type of disclaimer that everybody must agree to before looking at the build thread....."SERIOUS GEARHEAD p*rn INCLUDED, YOU'RE EYES AND BRAIN MAYBE PERMANENTLY DAMAGED (POSITIVELY THAT IS), TO INDULGE IN THE JUGGERNAUT CLICK AGREE, OR DISAGREE IF AFRAID TO CAUSE GEARHEAD ANXIETY" lol!!!!!!!

Ok, now this seriously made me laugh out loud. For a few minutes. With tears in my eyes.
:rofl:
Honest to god, I don't know where you guys come up with this stuff, but it's priceless! That was awesome, thanks for that.
Maybe if there's any future complaints of "gear head anxiety" in regards to my posts, I'll consider posting your disclaimer at the beginning of each one...
;)
LOL
Thanks Scott!!!

Donovan,
I share the same sentiment as my G-body brethren....great to see you back in action...

I also enjoy using the sanding sponges as Jim pointed out...what a great invention.
As usual, keep up the good work.

Thanks very much Jack.
It's nice to be seen... as it beats the hell out of the alternative...
:rofl:
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. That encouragement from members like you, and combined with the collective knowledge on here are what makes this the best damn G body site. Anywhere. Period.
:)
Thanks again everyone.
Donovan

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just had this little gem show up in the mail today...
So now I guess it's official!

I am...
IMG_1788.JPG

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

In case it wasn't already obvious, this is the plate I've always wanted for the Juggernaut, and refers to the 455 Rocket that powers it. It also just so happens to match my "handle" on here...
;)
My backup choice in case this was already taken was "6SPDRKT", but this one was available so I went for it.

Completely frivolous and unnecessary, but what the hell! Just wanted to share, thanks guys.

Later, Donovan

Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think it looks right at home on the car...

IMG_1795.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I think it looks right at home on the car...

View attachment 55038
Donovan, love the plate! I've been trying to think of something creative for years to have made for mine. However, here in KY i can put historic tags on the cutlass now, and i can modify it by paint matching it to the car without the law throwing a fit!!! As long as i leave one plate untouched (they give us 2 tags for historic cars, but we only have to use 1 of them).
Where did you get that plate frame at?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Donovan, love the plate! I've been trying to think of something creative for years to have made for mine. However, here in KY i can put historic tags on the cutlass now, and i can modify it by paint matching it to the car without the law throwing a fit!!! As long as i leave one plate untouched (they give us 2 tags for historic cars, but we only have to use 1 of them).
Where did you get that plate frame at?
Thanks Scott.
I wasn't aware that you were allowed to paint match your historic tags down there, that's a really cool idea. Up here it's strictly a no-no, you're not allowed to modify any tags in any way.

As for the plate frame, I've had it for years and years now. There's a little story behind that as well.

I originally saw an old Hot Rod or Car Craft magazine article about a plain jane looking 421 Super Duty Pontiac that was absolute sleeper. One of the photos the magazine crew took was a close up of his plate frame that said "Don't worry, it's only a Pontiac!" I thought that was perfect. At the time, Oldsmobiles and Olds motors were considered to be kind of the "red headed stepchild" if you will of the performance world, and got no respect, especially locally around here.
So I figured that would be the ideal way for me to thumb my nose at the nay sayers and skeptics with my combination, good naturedly of course! It made at lot more sense to the competitors at the track when I put them on the trailer!
Lol
I had it made for me at the local World of Wheels show one year by a vendor (don't recall who it was now), but I think they've long since gone defunct. I haven't seen anyone making them anymore in quite a while.

Donovan

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Alrighty guys, here we go finally, update time.
I've been going gangbusters on the car again since the weather turned, and I want to update you all on what I've been working on.
But in order to do that, I've got to backtrack quite a bit and cover the last of the things that were done to the car prior to my joining the forum: Namely, the hood.

The hood for this car has been nothing but a giant thorn in my side since the 455 was swapped in for the first time many moons ago during its first build.
So this is going to be a saga for me to cover, but I feel I need to do it so you all understand what has led me to go the route I have. So please, bear with me as I try and foreshorten 20+ years of hood woes into a couple paragraphs...

Because the 455 is physically larger and sits higher in the engine bay, hood clearance was an issue from day one. During the car's first build, I cut a hole in the hood for clearance and fibreglassed on a universal 2" cowl induction style scoop.
All the 'glass, filler and primer work was done, the car was painted, and on the way home from the paint booth, the hood became unlatched(!!) and I watched it bang up and down on the back of the flatbed tow truck.
I was horrified, and couldn't catch up to the driver to have him stop. Sure enough, by the time I got home and to the car, the damage was already done. My beautiful bodywork and paint job on the hood was marred by a 6" long crack running down the center of the hood peak.
Right there and then, I swore off fibreglass for good and decided never again.

For several years after that, the hood was in a perpetual state of repair/modification/change. Most of the pictures I have of the car from that time show either filler or primer on the underside, or with no hood on it at all. Here's a rare photo of the old hood actually ON the car:

Cutlass in finished garage (5).jpg

Fast forward now to 2008. I parked the car for the last time and started down the road to this latest envisioning of the car. The hood had to go, time for something new, bolder, and better.
I recalled an old car magazine article where a guy had trimmed his hood to fit around his unique air induction piping where it protruded above the hood line, and thought I looked pretty trick. I had just finished creating my own induction piping, so I thought I'd try something similar. A trip to the junkyard yielded a good clean hood from a 4 door sedan. After stripping the paint off it and cutting the hole to fit around my induction piping, this is what it looked like:

Completed Airride slammed (2).jpg

Interesting and unique sure, but trying to reinforce and finish the edges of the hole proved to be a colossal nightmare. The hood warped and buckled and did all kinds of nasty things. Plus, when the hood was open, the shape of the hole looked like a butterfly. Sure, butterflies are I nice I guess, but definitely not the image I wanted associated with the car! Lol.
So, that hood and idea too was scrapped. Back to the drawing board.

After some critical thinking, staring, and bouncing ideas off friends, we came up with a new take on an old idea that just seemed to lend itself to this particular car. We would do our version/vision of a cowl style hood, but tailor made for this car.

The '78-'80 Cutlass cars have the hood body lines go in the opposite direction from the '81-'88 cars. That is, the body lines go up or "grow" out of the header panel at the front of the car, extend down the hood, then fade flush again at the back of the hood. This "growing" out of the header panel seemed to call for the body lines to continue gaining height as they went back, leading into a natural progression for a cowl style center section.
Intrigued by this idea, a really basic and rudimentary mockup was made with some large sheets of shirt cardboard and masking tape:

Cardboard mockup (2).JPG

Cardboard mockup (4).JPG

Cardboard mockup (1).JPG

Liking the look it gave the car, I decided to pursue and go with the idea. I felt the raised area in the center being as wide as the body lines gave the car an aggressive look, and would definitely provide more than ample hood clearance for nearly anything I chose to do under the hood (supercharger, turbos, carb spacers etc).

Next post, fabrication begins on the new hood. I have pics (but with no explanations) posted in my albums under my user name, but I'm pretty sure no one ever looks at those, so I'm going to post them up here next so y'all can make sense of what you're looking at.

Continued...>>>

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Now armed with an idea, I knew that some sort of structural reinforcements were going to be required on the underside. 1/2" thinwall round tubing was acquired and bent to the desired shape, and jigs were made to locate the tubing in the right spots.

Jig for tube skeleton (5).JPG

Jig for tube skeleton (10).JPG

With that as a starting point, surgery began on yet another hood. Relief cuts were made along the body lines and across the back so the center section of the hood could be raised and the tube structure inserted.
This required the hood to be flipped upside down on the stand and all the hood "glue dots" cut so that the hood skin would move independently from the rest of the hood.

Separation of skin to structure (1).JPG

Separation of skin to structure (2).JPG

Separation of skin to structure (5).JPG

Once this was done, the tube structure was readied for install. Holes were drilled in the front edge for the tubing to protrude thru temporarily, and the jig was used to support the back.

Holes in front edge for skeleton (3).JPG

Welded tube skeleton loose.JPG

Skeleton installed & loose hoodskin (1).JPG

Before the tubing could be inserted, the edges of the cuts needed to be bent and stood up to provide the start of the vertical rise of the sides.

Hood sliced & ready for skeleton (1).JPG

Hood sliced & ready for skeleton (2).JPG

Continued...>>>

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The tube structure was installed below the cut skin, positioned, and welded in place.

Skeleton installed & loose hoodskin (8).JPG

Skeleton installed & loose hoodskin (10).JPG

With that completed, templates were made from cardboard of the additional sheetmetal that needed to be added to the sides, transferred to steel and cut out.

Fab. & install of side pieces (1).JPG

Time to start welding them in place. Note that more than enough extra material was left on the backsides so that they could be trimmed in place to achieve the desired shape at the base of the windshield.

Fab. & install of side pieces (2).JPG

Fab. & install of side pieces (6).JPG

With that done, the back was trimmed closer to the final shape, and the welds were ground flush.

Fab. & install of side pieces (11).JPG

It was now time to weld the sides to the tube structure. My buddy Scott was instrumental in helping out during the entire build procedure on the hood. Thanks Scotty, you da man!

Fab. & install of side pieces (12).JPG

Fab. & install of side pieces (13).JPG

By now, the hood was finally starting to get back some much needed structural integrity. However, the center portion didn't fit nicely just yet, and a relief cut needed to be made down the middle to get the two halves to lay flat properly on the tube sides. Once it layed flat, the center seam was welded to the center tube. Now it was actually starting to look like something...

Fab. & install of side pieces (20).JPG

The outer edges of the skins were welded to the outer tubes next.

Fab. & install of side pieces (22).JPG

Continued...>>>

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor