BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

mymontess

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2014
North York, Ontario, Canada
It really is a shame to cover this up. It should be in a museum for the whole world to admire lol!

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Now the REALLY intense fabrication started...
When I bought the front ShockWave air bag kit, it was the correct application for a G body. So upon receiving it, I opened up the box and proceeded to read through the instructions. I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but essentially, it was something like "it is the users responsibility to ensure that the airspring doesn't rub on any part of the frame, the opening will need to be trimmed back and a section of the outside of the frame will need to be removed."
WHAT????
First of all, you're compromising the structural rigidity of the frame, and second, it's going to look terrible!
So, unable to live with leaving the frame as they suggested, I took matters into my own hands, and came up with a solution. This is what I did:
After trimming away the interfering section of frame, I calculated the maximum width of the bag in its compressed state. This was around 7". I took an 8" grinding disk into a metal fabrication shop, and had them run a couple 1/8" plates through their slip roller until they matched the 8" diameter I needed. This would give me a 1/2" of clearance around the side of the bag.
100_3911.JPG
100_3913.JPG

The frame was then positioned so that the new piece was straight and level when tacked onto the side, and gave me a baseline for repeatability when it came to duplicate it on the other side.
100_3917.JPG

The swaybar was then mocked up and centered to check for clearance.
100_3918.JPG
100_3919.JPG

As you can see in this pic, the clearance just wasn't enough for my liking.
100_3922.JPG

However, after pie cutting a small section out of the stock frame and adjusting the new piece, I was able to get the clearance I wanted to see.
100_3920.JPG

I did however have lots of clearance to the outside edge of the 'bag.
100_3928.JPG

After determining the proper location of the outside piece, a template of the "floor" (actually the "roof" 'cause it's upside down) was made, transferred to steel, cut out and tacked into place. The 2 small "scabs" on the outside were to hold everything square and in place during fitment and welding.
100_3931.JPG
100_3934.JPG

Then it was fully burned in.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
After the "roof" was burned in, it was ground smooth and the scabs removed.
100_3935.JPG
100_3936.JPG

100_3940.JPG

The outside piece was re-fit, marked for trimming to shape, and held in place for welding.
100_3942.JPG
100_3944.JPG

As you can see by this inside shot, the fit was very good, with just the right gap for good penetration.
100_3945.JPG
100_3946.JPG
100_3947.JPG

The outsides were burned in next...
100_3948.JPG

...followed by the inside.
100_3949.JPG

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
100_3951.JPG
100_3952.JPG

After the welding smoke cleared, and the welds were dressed down, this is what I was left with.
100_3953.JPG
100_3954.JPG
100_3962.JPG

After many long hours and lots of welding wire later, the same procedure was duplicated on the other side and the front suspension mocked up to check everything. Note the frame is still upside down, the modifications still weren't done... There was still the topside to complete!
100_3989.JPG

Once the suspension mockup clearances were verified, everything came back off again, and the frame was flipped right side up. This is what I was faced with. At first I was unsure as to how I was going to continue, and what I could do to make it complete, but after some head scratching and visualizing, I decided on mirroring the curved shape of the outside piece I had just finished. It was back to the fab shop to have some more pieces rolled...
100_3991.JPG
But first it was weld up the top seam, and dress the weld to the same shape as the curvature of the frame in the untouched spots. Note the small piece tacked onto the upper portion. This is the hint of the solution. The round Sharpie mark denotes where the bumpstop for the upper control arm will sit in full suspension droop.
100_3993.JPG

The raw piece from the fab shop, sitting in place. Note the height of it. It would seem that its a lot taller than it needs to be, but there's a reason for it...
100_3996.JPG

...and with some of the excess trimmed away, you can see why. the additional height was needed to make up the "sides", helping to close things in and look more complete.
100_3999.JPG

Now fully trimmed, tacked into place, and the upper piece fully welded.

Last edited:

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
100_4000.JPG
100_4001.JPG

Here the outer piece was removed so that the upper weld could be cleaned up and ground.
100_4002.JPG

Millscale removed, fit, and ready for welding.
100_4004.JPG

And Presto! Through the magic of photography, it's magically welded in, ground, and shaped!
LOL:rofl:
Seriously tho, it WAS a lot of work, but it was actually a lot of fun too!
And of course, the same procedure was once again repeated on the other side.
100_4005.JPG
100_4006.JPG
100_4010.JPG

The upper control arm was test fit to ensure everything fit and worked well. Note I still have complete access to the upper control arm splined mounting bolts. They have been know to turn and strip inside their holes, and access needed to be left in case of replacement.
100_4011.JPG
Up next is beefing up the rear suspension mounts and all kinds of other fun stuff, but I think that'll have to wait for next time! (wink)
:cool:

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
you're one BAD *ss DUDE!! that frame is a work of art IMO!! I eventually plan on doing a frame off and hope my chassis detail is up to par!
Thank you! I'm glad that all that work is appreciated. Always happy to hear positive feedback. Must mean I'm doing something right!
:)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It really is a shame to cover this up. It should be in a museum for the whole world to admire lol!
Thanks for the kind words.
As with any performance car, it's usually what's hiding under the skin that tells the real story. In all honesty, I just wanted to do the best job I could, not because somebody else might see it, but because I could, and I know it's there. Of course, if somebody wanted to get down and inspect the underside, they'd have plenty to look at... ;)

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor