BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
D.... Even though it's not 100% in your face visible, that will be noticed by those that look for & see details. Outstanding effort & the finished sheet-metal looks like it should have been that way all along.

If you don't mind, what's the front tire size again for reference?

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
D.... Even though it's not 100% in your face visible, that will be noticed by those that look for & see details. Outstanding effort & the finished sheet-metal looks like it should have been that way all along.

If you don't mind, what's the front tire size again for reference?

Thank you Scoti, I truly believe it’s the multiple details that really set one ride apart from another. And I take pride in trying to incorporate as many of those details as possible.

The specs on the front tires are Toyo Proxes T1R's, 225/45/ZR18’s, on 8” wide Foose wheels. I know that seems a pretty narrow tire to run on a build of this sort, but one of the primary header tubes runs over the frame rail on each side into the wheel well limiting the width of tire I can run and still have decent turning radius. The 225 is really the widest I can go unless I was to use a different header choice.

Last edited:

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Thank you Scoti, I truly believe it’s the multiple details that really set on ride apart from another. And I take pride in trying to incorporate as many of those details as possible.

The specs on the front tires are Toyo Proxes T1R's, 225/45/ZR18’s, on 8” wide Foose wheels. I know that seems a pretty narrow tire to run on a build of this sort, but one of the primary header tubes runs over the frame rail on each side into the wheel well limiting the width of tire I can run and still have decent turning radius. The 225 is really the widest I can go unless I was to use a different header choice.
TY for that info on the front size. I recalled it was a 'non-typical' size but wanted to confirm. I was going to run the same size on my 'Bu because of a weird compulsion to maintain consistency on the rolling stock, The reality is that 225mm is appropriately sized for that 8" wide wheel width & keeping the sidewall shoulder square. Most will opt for a wider 235 or 245.

My plan was 225/45 & 255/40 on an 18x8"/9" combo but I stalled there while trying to determine if I could stuff an 18x9"/10" 255/285mm combo up into the wells which as you know is much trickier the lower you go.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ya know, you could wide body this thing and get some meat under there. How cool would that be?

I will refrain from commenting on this due to the fact that I could be giving away important future possibilities.
Or maybe not.
😎

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge
Looking forward to visiting again this weekend and seeing this thing in person. Oh and don't worry about the dull paint LOL

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
TY for that info on the front size. I recalled it was a 'non-typical' size but wanted to confirm. I was going to run the same size on my 'Bu because of a weird compulsion to maintain consistency on the rolling stock, The reality is that 225mm is appropriately sized for that 8" wide wheel width & keeping the sidewall shoulder square. Most will opt for a wider 235 or 245.

My plan was 225/45 & 255/40 on an 18x8"/9" combo but I stalled there while trying to determine if I could stuff an 18x9"/10" 255/285mm combo up into the wells which as you know is much trickier the lower you go.

TBH, I would’ve much preferred to have something like a 245 on the front for a wider contact patch and more stability during cornering. I suppose it still could be a possibility down the road if I were to do something like Supercharged111 suggested and widen the front fenders. I have a planned Malibu fender flare mod in the works for sometime in the future, but it won’t be enough to accommodate that much wider of a tire. In fact, it’s only to buy me a little more room for the existing combination to safely clear the wheels and tires as I air it up and down now.

As has been fairly well documented in other threads here on the forum, the Malibu seems to have a little larger and more forgiving rear wheelwells for wider tires than the Cutlasses and other models. I would think you’d have no issue stuffing a 285/18 in the back of yours with just the right offset and backspacing. I currently have 295/18’s on mine, but that’s a completely different deal yet again. Narrowed 12 bolt and stretched rear quarters in my case. Here again though, I’d love to be able to step up to a 305/18 minimum, or more preferably a 315 or 335.
Nothing makes a statement quite like that much rubber underneath the back of a car.

Looking forward to visiting again this weekend and seeing this thing in person. Oh and don't worry about the dull paint LOL

Hey man, I’m looking forward to having you guys over too! You’ve never seen The Juggernaut in person. Hopefully it doesn’t disappoint. Give me a shout once you figure out roughly what time you guys will be rolling through town.

That car looks really mean bottomed out, Donovan! 👍

Indeed it does Mike! Much more so in person. The pictures just don’t quite do it justice, especially when you consider things like the roof are right around chest height when it’s aired out like that. That’s pretty low, especially for a G body!

Great job! I'm going to focus on you so I don't get discourage with my project.

Thank you, I wish you the best of luck. It can be difficult at times, but you’ve just gotta keep your eye on the goal and don’t let anything deter you.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor