BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Progress on the driver’s side rear wheelwell close out panel has been slow, but steady.

3B55F9D7-4852-4BD8-A566-CB73CC020988.jpeg

Mostly fighting rusty/thin original metal, and porosity issues. Especially in the transition from flat behind the wheel to the areas facing the back of the tread. I’d strike an arc, only to have it deposit some material and blow away all around it. Attempt to fill that in, and a different area would blow away. Over and over again.

Immensely frustrating to say the least.

But I’ve kept after it, in the most stubborn way that is my own, and it’s starting to come together. Still a little bit of porosity in a few spots, but nothing compared to what I’ve already had to contend with. The epoxy and spray-on truck bed liner I plan on coating the entire underside with will fill those in and seal them off.

6E5E2CBB-B527-47DD-859B-6F384F077C59.jpeg

The dark spot near the middle of the previous picture isn’t rust, just a very deep factory spot weld.

E965D2B2-9AA9-4808-8909-17359D7DF994.jpeg

405128B1-61ED-4E7A-A1FF-EF54EA97A97C.jpeg

Definitely glad I undertook this though, the difference between before and after is significant:

AD77AD61-5541-43C2-8CDC-2A392C259779.jpeg

B9EB8BFC-2B6B-4769-82D7-7777CED32D2C.jpeg

All for now,
D.

Reactions: 20 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
It shouldn't surprise me the attention to detail you place on a wheel well. But it does. Keep on keeping on.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was originally going to run the vent line off the Aeromotive pickup to the rollover valve, and the factory pickup vent to a small K&N breather with the thought that pressure would be able to escape through the rollover vent, and vacuum would be negated by the K&N breather allowing air in, when I realized this was stupid. The tank would vent and draw in through the breather regardless of the rollover. So the rollover valve didn’t get used.

Why 2 vent lines? Do they both have roll over protection?

Reactions: 1 user

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Yes, I did read that at the beginning of the reply but thought I may have missed something since at this caliber of build, there would be no omitting safety equipment. Doesn't the Aeromotive Fuel module have a valve in it? Anyways, I'm not here to criticize. Just observing. I'm at a similar step in my build.

I have a Racetronix set up and there is a check valve in the vent connection.

Any concerns with fuel smell in the garage with a breather? I was considering something next level. Similar to factory to run the vent through the charcoal canister to not have fuel smell.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Donovan, let's see those cylinder heads! PM me the landed price from Summit, I want know the full raping of this purchase, please and thanks. You know, since I will be taking the plunge hopefully this Summer, depending on Edelbrock

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes, I did read that at the beginning of the reply but thought I may have missed something since at this caliber of build, there would be no omitting safety equipment. Doesn't the Aeromotive Fuel module have a valve in it? Anyways, I'm not here to criticize. Just observing. I'm at a similar step in my build.

I have a Racetronix set up and there is a check valve in the vent connection.

Any concerns with fuel smell in the garage with a breather? I was considering something next level. Similar to factory to run the vent through the charcoal canister to not have fuel smell.

Apologies, I thought you may have missed it. Guys sometimes ask redundant questions that were addressed in the posts because they didn’t read the entire thing.

No, the Aeromotive pickup does not have a check valve or any such thing, it’s merely a straight vent port. Their reference to it in the instructions are vauge at best too, leaving it entirely up to the installer. I don’t view what I’ve done as unsafe, as I haven’t omitted any safety equipment other than the rollover valve. I really would’ve rather used it, I went to the trouble of getting one even, but with the way our fuel systems are vented from the factory and the unavailability of true vented gas caps for our cars, I didn’t really see any other option short of reinstalling a stock style charcoal canister again.

Which I definitely didn’t want to do.

As far as charcoal canisters and fuel smells are concerned, I truly do believe it’s a select few individuals that have less than adequate and poorly designed/executed fuel system changes that’s causing their issues. In my other Cutlass “Olds Cool “, I eliminated and removed the charcoal canister and all it’s related components, and installed the exact same K&N breather under the trunk floor, just forward of the tank. I parked the car in my garage under all circumstances (hot, cold, full, empty, hot/humid days etc) and had absolutely zero fuel odours.

Really, the only time there should be any fuel smells present is when the fuel itself is very warm, and/or under pressure in the tank. (expansion). If the tank is vented, there is no way for the tank to be pressurized, therefore no pressure to push the smells and vapors out. I honestly do believe the majority of issues people have posted are because of deficiencies in their fuel systems causing pressurized tanks. If anything, you would think the opposite should be true, there should be a slight to moderate vacuum within the tank as the fuel gets consumed with an improperly vented system, that would slowly equalize as the tank was able to pull air back in.

A bit of speculation and theorizing here I realize, but it’s all based on logical reasoning and real world physics. I welcome the discussion on this, hope it helps you, and look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

Donovan

Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Donovan, let's see those cylinder heads! PM me the landed price from Summit, I want know the full raping of this purchase, please and thanks. You know, since I will be taking the plunge hopefully this Summer, depending on Edelbrock

Did you see this Christian?

Post #1723, lots of pictures of them. I can take more for you too if need be. No need for a PM, I want everyone to know just how badly we Canadians get screwed over up here thanks to our poor dollar and import duties.

Cost was $3635.36 CDN landed, for both heads.

• Wow
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Thanks Donovan, somehow forget or missed them. I really like the new chamber, notch on the end and other improvements. Your set looks less rough and what expect they should look like than the set that flowed 245ish cfm. 500HP should be easy, peasy for you. Yeah, that is what I guessed for price. Thanks.

Reactions: 2 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Did you see this Christian?

Post #1723, lots of pictures of them. I can take more for you too if need be. No need for a PM, I want everyone to know just how badly we Canadians get screwed over up here thanks to our poor dollar and import duties.

Cost was $3635.36 CDN landed, for both heads.
Wow! Say that really fast, and maybe it won't hurt quite as much! I hope that those heads will live up to your expectations Donovan.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor