BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Going to keep this one short and sweet.

It’s almost anti-climatic at this point, but tonight I FINALLY finished the bodywork on the hood and header panel. It’s been an epic odyssey, taking the entire summer, plus September, October, and now exactly half of November.

But it’s done for now until final prep for paint.

Tonight I laid down 2 coats of epoxy primer, let it set for an hour, and backed that up with 2 coats of regular high build primer surfacer. After it cured for a few hours, I unmasked it and installed the grille, headlight, and hood pin jewelry just to get the full effect.

That’s it for words, I’ll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. Feel free to let me know what you think.

View attachment 231101

View attachment 231102

View attachment 231103

View attachment 231104

View attachment 231105

View attachment 231106

View attachment 231107

View attachment 231108

View attachment 231109

View attachment 231110

View attachment 231111

View attachment 231112

View attachment 231113

Oh, and btw, don’t mind the weird little something you see on the passenger’s side door and fender, I’m not done there yet. The fenders are going to receive a little something special next, so the bodywork isn’t finished there yet.

D.
Crisp. The hood looks like it was manufactured, it's so good. Awesome work, as always.

Reactions: 2 users
Terrible as always😉🤣🤣🤣🤣. Obviously just kidding, as I looked at the flap disc swirl marks I am going cover with more primer on my 70S. Is the rest just strip, level and prime or is there more custom touches for the Juggernaut?

Reactions: 1 user
Cousin Eddie Battle GIF

Looks great. How bad are the quarters and deck lid? Although I’m sure you have some more custom work to do on the rear as well.

Thanks Chris.
Neither are bad at all, in reality both are very good condition for their age actually. But yeah, you nailed it, I have more custom touches planned for the rear. The quarter panels especially are going to be the most heavily modified and labor intensive to almost rival the hood.

Crisp. The hood looks like it was manufactured, it's so good. Awesome work, as always.

Thank you Jared. That’s very high praise indeed!
Much appreciated my friend.

Is the rest just strip, level and prime or is there more custom touches for the Juggernaut?

Definitely more custom to come. Starting almost immediately, I’m going to be carving into the front fenders again. But I assure you, it should be interesting and well worth it.

That looks just perfect. I cannot believe how great of a job you do. Are you a professional body man.

Thank you! Your comments really mean a lot and I appreciate them. I’m no professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. 😂

Seriously though, I do have formal training in automotive refinishing although I haven’t done it for a living for many many years. It’s relegated to hobby status now, on my cars and very good friends, and that’s the way I prefer to keep it.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users
The best way to enjoy doing bodywork, is to do it as a hobby. Or at least on your own terms.

I couldn’t agree more. No deadlines, no overbearing bosses, no micromanaging, no clock watching and no creativity restraints.

I could go on and on.

Of course if anything goes wrong, you’re the one responsible for correcting it, but that’s all part of the game.

Reactions: 6 users
Damn, Donovan, that is one hot piece of Oldsmobile a$$!

You've selected a valvespring combo, but haven't selected a cam yet. Hope the spring pressures are in the ballpark for whatever you pick for a cam!

I was at Mark Remmel's dyno shop two weeks ago to dyno and tune my 455. He redid my shortblock and refreshed the iron heads. Made 467hp at 5000 and 547ft.-lb. at 3800. Great street engine that makes it all happen down low. Mark is a great resource. Can't wait to see what yours does with the aluminum heads!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Damn, Donovan, that is one hot piece of Oldsmobile a$$!

You've selected a valvespring combo, but haven't selected a cam yet. Hope the spring pressures are in the ballpark for whatever you pick for a cam!

I was at Mark Remmel's dyno shop two weeks ago to dyno and tune my 455. He redid my shortblock and refreshed the iron heads. Made 467hp at 5000 and 547ft.-lb. at 3800. Great street engine that makes it all happen down low. Mark is a great resource. Can't wait to see what yours does with the aluminum heads!

Thanks brother! I appreciate the compliment.

I did and didn’t “select” the valvesprings, I ordered the heads for use with a roller cam. They come pre-assembled with the springs, locators, locks etc.

The only difference between the roller and non-roller heads are the valvesprings, the roller cam versions come with stiffer springs to handle the more aggressive cam lobe profiles that rollers have. Regardless, I’ll be having my machine shop completely disassemble the heads, mill them down, check spring pressures and installed heights etc, and maybe even give the valves a 5 angle grind. I’m going to have them cc them while they’re at it too, I just don’t completely trust preassembled and “ready to run” parts. Especially in this day and age with substandard quality control practices.

When I finally do select a camshaft, I’ll be triple checking that the pressures and installed heights are going to work with it. I don’t need coil bind or valve float. If they’re insufficient, out they come and I’ll get the right ones. Probably beehive’s if it comes to that.

Congrats on your dyno numbers, that’s a healthy little mill you’ve got there! It’ll make for a whole lot of smiles per gallon.

Reactions: 5 users
Another thing Mark is a great resource on is EFI especially with the Olds V8 but he does other makes as well. If you dare to take the plunge.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor