BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Another thing Mark is a great resource on is EFI especially with the Olds V8 but he does other makes as well. If you dare to take the plunge.

It’s not off the table. Not yet at least. I have to get it running and driving first before I consider that though. By then I’ll be considering other options like boost though, so it’ll all go hand in hand.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
The only difference between the roller and non-roller heads are the valvesprings, the roller cam versions come with stiffer springs to handle the more aggressive cam lobe profiles that rollers have. Regardless, I’ll be having my machine shop completely disassemble the heads, mill them down, check spring pressures and installed heights etc, and maybe even give the valves a 5 angle grind. I’m going to have them cc them while they’re at it too, I just don’t completely trust preassembled and “ready to run” parts. Especially in this day and age with substandard quality control practices.

When I finally do select a camshaft, I’ll be triple checking that the pressures and installed heights are going to work with it. I don’t need coil bind or valve float. If they’re insufficient, out they come and I’ll get the right ones. Probably beehive’s if it comes to that.
Awesome, great plan! Mark redid my installed heights and changed springs as my previous build did not do a good job.
Congrats on your dyno numbers, that’s a healthy little mill you’ve got there! It’ll make for a whole lot of smiles per gallon.
Thanks, the iron heads and old school valve face grind is limiting head flow above about 4800 rpm. Mark said when I am ready to do aluminum heads, that in and of itself with basically no other changes not even the cam, it will likely do 520hp. Maybe one day I'll do that. This will look stock under the hood of my 1970 Cutlass as is, though.

Looking forward to more Juggernaut posts!

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome, great plan! Mark redid my installed heights and changed springs as my previous build did not do a good job.

Thanks, the iron heads and old school valve face grind is limiting head flow above about 4800 rpm. Mark said when I am ready to do aluminum heads, that in and of itself with basically no other changes not even the cam, it will likely do 520hp. Maybe one day I'll do that. This will look stock under the hood of my 1970 Cutlass as is, though.

Looking forward to more Juggernaut posts!

Awesome, I hope you reach that goal when you’re ready to upgrade to the aluminum heads!

If you don’t mind my asking, who’s and what cam grind are you running? If you don’t want to post the cam specs here publicly, you can always PM me. Just curious as it might help me make my cam choice easier.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll post it here as it is no secret haha. Crane special grind from 2006 when I started the build. Worked with Crane directly at the time. Only 3 years later, all Crane intellectual property was acquired by a motorcycle products company.

1700241275497.png

Reactions: 4 users
Those are healthy specs, the new Edelbrock like Donovan's would probably easily hit the numbers mentioned.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I did it the opposite. I had the block decked to keep the heads untouched. This makes it capable of being used on different engines and not worry about the clearance (head wise anyway)

Hutch

I did it the opposite. I had the block decked to keep the heads untouched. This makes it capable of being used on different engines and not worry about the clearance (head wise anyway)

Hutch
Another bonus of the modern pistons, less than .020" in the hole on a virgin block. My 358 needed a .016" deck cut to straighten it. That left the pistons .003" in the hole, .045" piston to deck with Felpro Blue head gaskets.

Already full swing into the next project, I think you guys are going to like this one.

I’ve been sitting on a pile (5 to be exact) of old cut down G Body Malibu fenders, specifically the flared sections of them. They all came from front fenders, one for each of the corners, and one fairly damaged one that was still usable as a donor piece.

IMG_3730.jpeg

IMG_3729.jpeg

Why you ask?

Well because the tire to fender clearance on the front is virtually nonexistent, when airing the car down, the fenders rub on the tires.

Not good.

So I needed more clearance, but I hate the look of most aftermarket or custom fender flares. The factory got it right on the Malibu’s, and the shape is startling close to the Cutlass opening shape, so why not use them?

After stripping off all the old paint from the face and back of the two front flares I planned on using, as well as from the damaged donor piece, I was ready to start mocking them up into place.

IMG_3724.jpeg

IMG_3725.jpeg

IMG_3726.jpeg

IMG_3727.jpeg

IMG_3731.jpeg

IMG_3732.jpeg

The fender openings on the Malibu are about a 1/2” narrower than the Cutlass, so I knew I was going to have to cut the flares in half and stretch them to line up with the edges of the Cutlass openings. This is why the need for the 3rd donor piece. The shorted pieces would be cut from it, negating the need to custom fab them from scratch.

Mike was at my place for garage day today, and we wasted little time getting down to brass tacks. We tackled the passenger side first, getting it all figured out, and then decided to duplicate the process on the driver’s side while it was still fresh in our heads.

This is the progression of work on the passenger side:

IMG_3735.jpeg

IMG_3736.jpeg

IMG_3737.jpeg

IMG_3738.jpeg

IMG_3741.jpeg

IMG_3742.jpeg

IMG_3743.jpeg

IMG_3744.jpeg

Once we had the fit down perfect, we Cleco’d the flares over top of the fenders to keep everything from moving around on us. One final check of the fitment, and we flipped the Clecos around and installed them from the backside to make cutting around the flare patches easier.

IMG_3745.jpeg

IMG_3746.jpeg

Here the fender is cut, and the front flare section clamped in place with flush sheetmetal clamps.

IMG_3747.jpeg

Repeat the procedure for the rear section:

IMG_3748.jpeg

IMG_3749.jpeg

IMG_3750.jpeg

It was at this point that we decided to get the driver’s side to this same stage before we forgot how we did it. The second side always goes quicker than the first.

IMG_3751.jpeg
IMG_3752.jpeg
IMG_3753.jpeg

Continued >>>

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
IMG_3755.jpeg

The donor piece cut, fit, and tacked into the void.

IMG_3756.jpeg

With the driver’s side stitched together, it was time to bounce back to the passenger’s side and repeat the donor piece tack welding.

Damn that’s a big hole without anything in there!!
😮

IMG_3757.jpeg

IMG_3758.jpeg

IMG_3760.jpeg

IMG_3759.jpeg

So now all six pieces have been made into two again, and I can safely remove the flares for finish welding and metal finishing on the workbench. It’ll be much easier than trying to do it all on the car. After that’s done, I have another little mod that I’ll be doing to them before they get welded into the fenders.

But that’s for the next update, you’re just going to have to wait for that.

Thanks for looking in on the progress gents,

D.

• Winner
  • Wow
Reactions: 19 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor