BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Full disclosure, massive update coming. Lots of pictures and a bit of reading to do, so if you don’t have time to read through it all now, you might want to check back another time.

You’ve been warned.

Since drilling the holes for the new mirrors and taking them off and on a couple times, I noticed a disturbing issue when blocking the doors. Despite our careful tightening down each time, the outer sheetmetal skin was showing signs of distorting, as seen here:

IMG_4131.png

This is caused by air gaps somewhere between the outer skin and the inner structure we had assumed was tight against the outer sheetmetal. First mistake. Obviously having this distortion is going to be problematic in keeping the outer sheetmetal straight, so something had to be done.

This isn’t necessarily the right way to do it, just the way I did it. It’s also documentation just as much for me as a record of the steps for doing the driver’s side as it is for you guys for entertainment/informational purposes.

First off, this is the passenger’s side, and this is the area that I have to work in:

IMG_4096.jpeg

IMG_4097.jpeg

Not the easiest place to access as you can imagine, but hey, I enjoy a challenge right?

First order of business was to strip the old paint back, and mark out some cut lines. The area is inaccessible without cutting some access first. This is the least obtrusive.

IMG_4098.jpeg

The first cut was through the first layer of sheetmetal, which is actually the outer skin where it wraps up and over, and then is spot welded to the inner structure.
Here is the first section removed:

IMG_4099.jpeg

Next was to cut away the same section, but this time of the inner structure:

IMG_4100.jpeg

Now we can at least see the area that needs attention. Now I had to remove the contoured area of the inner structure that is causing the issues. This was a very difficult and nerve racking process, you can’t cut too deep or you’ll cut right through the outer skin. Not to mention the extremely poor access. It took a combination of small air powered cutoff wheel and body saw, and a boatload of patience, but I managed to get it done:

IMG_4102.jpeg

IMG_4103.jpeg

IMG_4104.jpeg

Next, I cleaned up the outer skin’s inner surface, we don’t want anything between it and the reinforcement I’m going to be installing.

IMG_4105.jpeg

Now time to make the reinforcement. I took a piece of solid 3/16” stock and cut it an inch wide by a little over 4” long. This will provide plenty of strength to the area, the backside of the mirror, and prevent the sheetmetal from distorting.

IMG_4106.jpeg

I drew a center mark along the length of it, that way when I held it up underneath I could verify it was centered in relation to the holes:

IMG_4107.jpeg

A bit of drill press time and chamfering later, and I had a usable piece.

IMG_4108.jpeg

IMG_4109.jpeg

Here’s the view from the backside:

IMG_4110.jpeg

We’re nowhere near done yet, now the reinforcement needs to be attached to the inner structure. After cutting off the lower piece of the previously removed inner structure, I was able (barely) to tack weld it to the reinforcement while it was in place:

IMG_4111.jpeg

IMG_4112.jpeg

Based on the void, I made a piece to fit…

IMG_4113.jpeg

IMG_4114.jpeg

…then welded it to the pieces and ground the welds flush.

IMG_4115.jpeg

IMG_4116.jpeg

Time for another test fit:

IMG_4117.jpeg

Doesn’t look like much I know, but it’s actually fitting together not too bad at this point. That took care of the bottom, but the same had to be done to the top. The only difference being, this filler piece was welded back to the inner structure rather than the reinforcement piece:

IMG_4118.jpeg

Dayum, that’s UGLY! Best I could do with the restricted access though. I’ll address the ugliness later. At this point, we’re ready to start welding the reinforcement in, so next I treated both sides with a generous application of zinc coating.

IMG_4119.jpeg

IMG_4120.jpeg

Continued >>>

Reactions: 10 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This is where I might catch a little bit of flak.
I bolted the reinforcement back in place, drilled a couple of spot weld holes through the outer skin, and into the reinforcement:

IMG_4121.jpeg

Plug weld time…

IMG_4122.jpeg

…and after a little bit of cleanup:

IMG_4123.jpeg

Yeah I know I’ll have to go back and re-bodywork/reprime the area, but hindsight is always 20/20. Should’ve done this before the bodywork, c’est la vie. At least the mirror covers up most of it for the time being.

IMG_4124.jpeg

IMG_4125.jpeg

Time to turn our attention back to the inside, next I spent a fair amount of time welding in the reinforcement to the inner structure. More ugliness…

IMG_4127.jpeg

…for now. 😈

You didn’t actually think I was going to leave it like that did you?

IMG_4128.jpeg

The previous picture is after some careful grinding with anything I could fit in there. Extended ball end carbide bit, and the edge of the cutoff wheel got it done, there was no physical way I could fit even my 90 degree 2” air grinder in there.

More zinc coating, and it’s passible enough for where it is:

IMG_4129.jpeg

IMG_4130.jpeg

And that’s where I’m at as of right now. The hard part is done, now I just have to close up the access hole I cut. That will still entail a fair amount of work, but it’ll be gravy in comparison to working in that extremely tight and cramped spot.

Stay tuned for the completion over the next night or two.

D.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Creative
Reactions: 16 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Nice work. I hate that you just showed me what I have to do to my Malibu doors when I get back onto the bodywork portion of that build. Lucky for me, my car has fallen behind the 62 Vette, 86 GP, and the father/son beetle.

Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Now that's going the distance, wow! You've gotta love having an eye for detail- you see all the minor things that normal folks are blissfully unaware of. That's a substantial amount of work that definitely takes a particular set of skills, but I feel like using this could've saved a few steps... IMG_20240227_094239083.jpg
(Joking, of course)

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Really nice work Donovan. That is a very tough area to access, and you've done really well.

Thank you Jeff. It was certainly a challenge, and TBH I didn’t know if I was going to be able to pull it off at first. But as the saying goes, where there’s a will, there’s a way.

I did learn a little on this side though, that should make doing the other side a little easier. Mainly not cutting the upper line so high.

Nice work. I hate that you just showed me what I have to do to my Malibu doors when I get back onto the bodywork portion of that build. Lucky for me, my car has fallen behind the 62 Vette, 86 GP, and the father/son beetle.

Appreciate that Chris, thanks. Just don’t make my mistake, and perform this modification before doing your bodywork.
You definitely have your hands full with the number of projects on your plate.

takes a particular set of skills

IMG_4132.gif

😁

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No work done tonight, the nightmare that disguised itself as my work day today saw to that. It absolutely neutered all ambition to do anything out in The Skunkworks tonight.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 4 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Thank you Jeff. It was certainly a challenge, and TBH I didn’t know if I was going to be able to pull it off at first. But as the saying goes, where there’s a will, there’s a way.

I did learn a little on this side though, that should make doing the other side a little easier. Mainly not cutting the upper line so high.

Appreciate that Chris, thanks. Just don’t make my mistake, and perform this modification before doing your bodywork.
You definitely have your hands full with the number of projects on your plate.

View attachment 235771

😁
Well the Malibu is my project, so it’s on the back burner. The vette is a customer, the GP will be for sale, then the beetle is a dad/kids project. So while I have a lot on my plate, the Malibu is definitely at the bottom of my list.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Great job D. One thing is for sure... that mirror is going to be solidly mounted! Something i think most of us would have totally ignored.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas

Wouldn't some Panel Bond have held the piece in place getting the job done w/o the impact of heat on the exterior sheet metal? You'd still have to weld the inner portions back but that likely wouldn't transfer heat beyond that piece of the inner structure.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor