BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Love what you're doing with the headlamps.

GM decided that 1980 would be a '1-year' model across the range of G-Body saloons, the Cutlass, Monte Carlo, Regal and Grand Prix all went from single lamps (only a 2-year run in itself, 78/79) to twin lamps for 80 only. Then in '81 they revised the entire line-up completely to the newer body styles.

The single rectangular lamp look you've gone for echoes the 1-year only also 1988 'Euro' front end for the Cutlass.

euroclip.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Well I finally reached a milestone on the header panel.
:)
The cutting and pasting of the small SMC pieces has all been finished, and all the filler work to blend the composite light buckets is complete.

The header was mounted back on the car and the hood ornament elimination repair was skimmed with filler for final blocking.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

With that done, a light skim of finishing putty was applied to fill minor imperfections and pinholes, then that was blocked out as well.
image.jpeg

With that being the last of the work to do on it, it was finally time for some primer! The header was taken off the car and into work where we have a small 1/4 spray booth. (Better to do it there than in my garage - less prep work and mess there!)
After a thorough clean and wipe down, a coat of plastic adhesion promotor was applied, followed by 3 coats of high build primer surfacer.
image.jpeg

So, did I achieve my goal of a factory appearing modification to the header panel for the lights?
I know what my answer is, but here's some close ups of a few areas on it. You decide for yourselves. ;)
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm not quite ready to show it to you on the car however. Despite my best efforts, a few pinholes got missed, some dirt got in the wet primer, and I put a couple of runs in it. (It seems I'm lil rusty behind the trigger)
Lol
So currently, the panel is back on the bench at home being blocked/sanded out, and the pinholes will get addressed before it goes back in for one more re-prime. I might as well do it right, right?
Once it's been re-primed, it will be mounted on the car semi-final so the rest of the work can continue. That means the next update I do will have the pics you've all been waiting for: on the car!
:-)
Until next time,
You know what to do...
Drive angry my friends!
:twisted:
Thanks for checking back.
Donovan

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Exemplary work as always, my friend. :notworthy:
I too enjoy your thread. :)..great stuff!

Pretty dang sweet! Except the sags LOL

Doesn't every artist sign their work? (Runs, sags). As usual great work. Keep it coming.

Yeah, I can base/clear my engine block and cylinder heads with all the intricate nooks and crannys and not get a single run, yet spray some primer on something, and its sag city. Go figure! :confused: :wtf:

IMG_0006_NEW_0001.jpg

IMG_0008_NEW_0001.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor