BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

A really great job, Donovan. I enjoy your build!

Doug

Exemplary work as always, my friend. :notworthy:
I too enjoy your thread. :)..great stuff!

It looks great! I love doing what I can myself as much as I can.

You've done great work. This is the kind of stuff that inspires us to do things ourselves and have the pride in our rides.

Keep up the great work!

Joe

Doug, Jack, Joe and Jim:
Thanks very much you guys, I"m glad you like the way it's turned out as much as I do. You're all very kind, thank you for the encouraging words!
I'll keep the updates coming, no worries there. I share this build thread with anyone that takes an interest in the car as it's a great way to document the progress and evolution as I go all in one place. So if I can follow it through to the end, it'd be a great historical record for all to see.
Thanks again guys
Donovan

Reactions: 2 users
Haven't poked in for a while....I like the mods on the header panel Donovan...nice work!

(little slow at work here today...shhhh...gave me a chance to drop in on the build threads)

Haven't poked in for a while....I like the mods on the header panel Donovan...nice work!

(little slow at work here today...shhhh...gave me a chance to drop in on the build threads)

Thanks Kevin! I'm overdue for an update I know, but I'm just trying to get to the point where I can take some pics that actually show progress to go with a write up.

Right now, I'm waiting on getting my grilles back from dechroming (I'll explain why later), so I might just throw the original grilles back in for photo ops as they already look like what the new ones will look like when they're finished. Make sense? :confused:

Oh, and no worries, your secret's safe with me... I too have been know to check in on the forum during a slow period or two!
;)

Hey guys, I'm finally back again with another long overdue update and glimpse into the Juggernaut skunkworks. I suggest pulling up a chair and grabbing a fresh bevy as this may be a long one...
:eek:

First of all, my apologies for the inconsistencies in my updates, but for those of you who don't already know, I live alone, work full time, own my own house, 3 cars, and a dog. Needless to say, I'm usually a pretty busy dude, and although I try and dedicate as much time to the car as I can, making sure things like getting the bills paid, running the household, shovelling sidewalks, cutting the grass etc take precedence over playing with the car.

Anyways, since my last update, the runs in the primer were addressed as I sanded the ENTIRE header panel inside and out, filled the couple of pinholes I had missed, and re-primed the whole thing again.

Once that was complete, I turned my attention to preparing the grilles for restoration before going in the new header. Some repairs were needed, so I took some pics as I went and documented the repairs and made a "how-to" thread on what I did. (Search "Grille repair and Restoration" on here in case you missed it).

Once that was done was when things started to work against me a bit. I started out by trying to sand out the chrome and copper oxidation from inbetween the fins on the grilles. To say the least, it was a very time consuming, arduous, and dirty task. It took me a week of nights to do the two grilles, and when it was all said and done, I still wasn't happy with the results as there were too many areas I simply couldn't access by sanding.

So the decision was made to have the grilles and both headlight bezels dechromed. Initially, I tried to take the cheap way out and found on a Google search that some guys had success with stripping chrome from plastic with bleach. I won't bore you with the results, but suffice to say, after several weeks (and gallons) of bleach, I ended up taking them into my local chrome plating shop to have them professionally stripped anyways.
It ended up being slightly cheaper and certainly much quicker. At least for the bezels. I dropped them off one Thursday and they were ready the following morning. Encouraged by their quick turnaround, I dropped off the grilles for them to do next, and then didn't end up seeing those back for two weeks!
:mad:
Once I finally had the grilles back in my possession, I spent some time detailing them, sanding out minor rock chip marks, trimming excess plastic flash the factory missed, etc in preparation of having them redone. The fins and the surrounds were all sanded flat with 400 grit on a block to make sure everything was perfectly flat and smooth. Along with the previously made repairs, they turned out great, and are currently waiting on me to finish (or "start" lol) on the necessary modifications that need to be done to the headlight bezels. Here's the grilles as they sit now waiting for me to catch up to them with the bezels:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag just yet on how or what finish will be applied to these pieces, I'll cover that on here in the future once they get done. Sorry guys!
:twisted:
While I was working on all that, I retired the mock-up headlights and overhauled the good "final" lights in preparation to go in. They were completely dismantled, cleaned, painted, detailed, and the adjusters were lubricated before reassembly.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The completed assemblies ready to go in:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Once the lights were reassembled, they were installed into the header, and preparations were started for provisions to mount the ballasts and transformers for the HID lights I plan to use.

The area inside the header panel above the headlights was chosen for locating the ballasts and transformers as it is well protected from any potential moisture or damage.

This area was sanded smooth, and four stainless steel sheetmetal plates (two per side, one for low beams, one for highs) were panel bonded on. These plates allow me to mount the ballasts to them with industrial strength Velcro without the worry of the Velcro pulling the paint off the header in case I ever need to replace one.

This is the area sanded smooth in preparation for the stainless plates:
image.jpeg

With this done, the Velcro was applied to the plates and the bottoms of the ballasts as well as to the bottoms of the transformers and the tops of the ballasts. This allowed me to piggyback the transformers on top of the ballasts keeping the whole assemblies neat, tidy, and all together. Once again, transformers (and more commonly ballasts) are known to burn out occasionally requiring replacement, and the use of the Velcro allows me to remove and replace these components without any hassle or damage should any fail.

Here they are all in place:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Happy with the progess on this area, it was time to concentrate on final fitment and alignment of the header to the fenders on the car. Remember, this header is not original to the car, plus with the modifications I made to the fronts of the fenders to eliminate the front filler panel, some bodywork was going to be required.

For those of you that may not have caught the part of the build where I narrowed and tucked the front bumper, here's a quick rundown of what I did:

"Pockets" were fabricated and welded to the fronts of the fenders to accommodate the ends of the bumper to sit in. They look like this:
image.jpeg

The roughly 2" tall section of the fender extensions that sit directly under the header correspond and bolt to a custom made sheetmetal filler panel I created from a Cutlass sedan.

The following pics are of the filler panel in its raw unfinished form. The perforated mesh section below the headlights are the fresh air locations for the air filters as my ram air intakes will be mounted directly behind them. The filler panel bolts to the underside of the header above the mesh area via four nutserts (per side) that I installed, and is further supported in the center by utilizing the lower grille mounting screws.
Continued... ---->>>

Last edited:
Iphone pictures 111.jpg
Iphone pictures 109.jpg

The nutserts that support the ends of the filler panel are visible in the foreground in this pic:
Iphone pictures 008.jpg

As well, the ends of the filler panel bolt to the ends of the fenders. I actually designed and built it in such a way that the ends could be shimmed for alignment and adjustment of the angles of the fender edges shown here:
image.jpeg

However, once again, Murphy reared his ugly head. For whatever reason, this filler panel fit the old header panel perfectly, yet when I tried to fit it to the new one, I found the passenger side bracket on the inside of the filler panel was welded on an 1/8" too far out causing the edge of the fender to not align with the header panel!
:wtf:
The bracket was cut off and welded back on in the correct location, causing no ill effects other than time lost and a raised irritation level. With the filler panel now fitting correctly, I was able to fine tune the fitment of the header and filler panel to the fenders. From there, it was back to basics. Starting on the driver's side, I stripped off all the old primer and filler, and started from scratch with a coat of kitty hair across all the panels. Once that was blocked out, I proceeded with additional coats of filler and putty using standard bodywork and blocking practices till everything was arrow straight.
Iphone pictures 265.jpg

With the driver's side done and almost ready for primer, it was time to repeat the procedure on the passenger's side. This is an "in-progress" pic, after the first coat of kitty hair, and ready for a skim of filler:
Iphone pictures 266.jpg

It's skim coat of filler ready to be blocked out....
Iphone pictures 263.jpg

...aaaaaand that's pretty much where I stand as of tonight. Once I'm happy with the passenger side, the header will carefully come off and all the edges of the header and the fenders will be gently and slightly rounded off prior to some etch and high build primers.

That's pretty much it for now, I'll be updating again once the front end is all back in one color again.
Thanks for tuning in to the progress!

Oh, almost forgot, here's a couple more pics...:)

Iphone pictures 048.jpg

Iphone pictures 050.jpg

Iphone pictures 047.jpg

You didn't think I was going to go through all that effort and drag y'all along for the ride without some sort of payoff, did ya?
:D
Those are just the low beams in the 8000k range. Mostly white with just a tinge of blue. The high beams are even brighter, they fully light up my neighbour's fence across the alley! A vast improvement over the original sealed beam lights, I can assure you!

'Till next time,
Drive angry, my friends!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
So much time...how are you not dying to drive it?! I'd go crazy!! Great job though it looks awesome. I wanna see a picture from a little ways back to get a full body view with the header panel.

So much time...how are you not dying to drive it?! I'd go crazy!! Great job though it looks awesome. I wanna see a picture from a little ways back to get a full body view with the header panel.
Thank you!
You posted just a hair too soon, before I was able to send the second part with the pics of the front end together. In case you missed it, go back and check it again, there's pics from outside with the HID's working. They're my favorites.:)

Thank you!
You posted just a hair too soon, before I was able to send the second part with the pics of the front end together. In case you missed it, go back and check it again, there's pics from outside with the HID's working. They're my favorites.:)
Haha I know I just saw that. Looks awesome!! I'd love hids but I'm afraid of the amount of work/money and also afraid of them being unreliable. How hard was your install and what kit?

Haha I know I just saw that. Looks awesome!! I'd love hids but I'm afraid of the amount of work/money and also afraid of them being unreliable. How hard was your install and what kit?

There's nothing to be afraid of with HID's. The technology and the quality of the aftermarket kits available now has come a ways since the introduction of the first kits, as you'll find with nearly any new product. Install was a breeze, everything's plug and play, just watch your polarities. Price really isn't much of a concern either. Each kit (one for high beams, and one for lows) cost me $75 CDN, plus tax, for a grand total of $150. That's pretty reasonable I'd say. They come with a one year warranty as well, and in your choice of color ranges. I'm in Calgary, and I found them on Kijij local here in town. I have aftermarket HID's in my DD Lincoln as well, and have never had to touch them, not for anything.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-p...canbus-hid-lights-led-bar-led-bulbs/348136551

So much time...how are you not dying to drive it?! I'd go crazy!!

The car has been off the road and receiving its current makeover since 2008. Truth be told, I was getting a serious jones to get back behind the wheel of a G body, so I jumped at the chance to pick up another white '80 Cutlass Calais for only $800 earlier this year. It's somewhat visible in the pics. It's no hot rod, but it's enough to keep me from going insane while working on The Juggernaut. I do miss the massive torque of my 455 tho...
:(

Here's a couple additional pics of the front end in the daytime. This was before the chrome was stripped from the grilles and bezels, and before the header panel was shot in primer. It was one of many mock-up and test fit sessions.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks very much for following along everyone!
Donovan

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor