BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

That is looking really good sir! I didn't realize how low it was till just now.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Thanks Jim!

The car is VERY low when it's aired down. The pictures just don't convey how low it really is. In those pics, it's on wheel dollies too so it's sitting roughly 4" higher than if it was on the floor.
When I set the car on the ground and air it down, it tucks tire and wheel on the front, tire on the back, and I have maybe 3/4" from the drivers side header to the ground!
:D

All I can is...it's going to look awesome when it's painted. I love all the subtle mods. I can appreciate the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into this car...just outstanding.

Are you going to put wheel wells back up front, or do you need the extra clearance with the air ride?
As Jim pointed out, it is sitting quite low.

Jim - here's a pic of the ground clearance I have (or don't lol) at the drivers side header when it's aired down. (I didn't have access to this pic when we were talking earlier today). The crossmember only sits a couple of inches off the ground as well.
I do like it low!
:D

image.jpeg

All I can is...it's going to look awesome when it's painted. I love all the subtle mods. I can appreciate the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into this car...just outstanding.

Are you going to put wheel wells back up front, or do you need the extra clearance with the air ride?
As Jim pointed out, it is sitting quite low.

Thank you Jack, you're too kind sir!
:oops:
The plan is definitely to put wheel wells back up front. The frame and front suspension looks clean enough that I could get away with not running any, but I've never been a fan of that look. It seems like it's unfinished that way (to me anyways).
Plus, I plan on driving the wheels off this thing once it's done, so I want the protection from flying rocks, spray, road grime etc as well.

I know that the factory used plastic on the front wheel wells to cut down on weight and thereby improve fuel economy, but from a hot rod builders perspective, there's not too much one can really do to make them look nice.

So with that being said, I'm eyeing up some steel ones from maybe a '69 Camaro. The shape of the wheel arches is fairly close between the two, so I figure it's a good starting point. Even if they require some surgery and massaging, at least with steel I can do that. Not so much with plastic...

As far as clearance is concerned, the tires currently touch the underside of the inner fender at full slam,
image.jpeg

so I'll have to trim and raise the arches in the inner fenders before I try to fit any kind of wheel well in there. That's why I haven't touched the insides of the fenders yet.
image.jpeg

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user
Wow, that's looking sweet!

Donovan,
In back of mind I was thinking you had a plan to possibly fashion your own wheel wells. I've seen guys run cars without the wheel wells....I also don't think it's a smart idea. As you said, it kicks up rocks, dirt, small animals, and road debris. :eek:

I do like the thought of using metal wheel well housings...the plastic ones do get kinda raunchy looking. However, I've seen guys finish them nicely.

Looks BA for sure Donovan. I had the same curiosity as Jack, and you answered it the way I think. I don't like not having the inner wheel wells for the exact same reasons. With raising the arches you would need custom pieces anyway.

I had to modify olds ones, the fit nice and cleaned up well. With all the wiring and crap you don't really see them when the car is assembled.

Also, is that a skid plate on the header tube? If so good idea, though i am the only one who ever done that.

Looks BA for sure Donovan. I had the same curiosity as Jack, and you answered it the way I think. I don't like not having the inner wheel wells for the exact same reasons. With raising the arches you would need custom pieces anyway.

I had to modify olds ones, the fit nice and cleaned up well. With all the wiring and crap you don't really see them when the car is assembled.

Also, is that a skid plate on the header tube? If so good idea, though i am the only one who ever done that.

It's a good idea, but actually no, it's not a skid plate.

It's a repair that had to be made after I accidentally pancaked that header on a set of railroad tracks when I had drop spindles on the car. Those headers are several years old and will stay on long enough for the new cam break in, and then I'll likely replace them with new ones afterwards.

Most of the modifications I'm making to the car are based on lessons learned and things I want to do differently and better:

In this case, heavy 455 Olds + 2" drop spindles = pancaked headers if you're not über careful.

Hence going air ride this time around. That way I can have the ultra low look I love when parked, yet when it comes time to drive, I can go back to factory ride height at the touch of a button.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
:p

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor