The King - a 2002 GMC Yukon XL... 496 CI of STILL not an LS!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm pretty sure LS blowers bolt into that 8.1. How long until you boost it?
Probably quite a while. On one hand it's not entirely a joke that its for the wife... it kind of is.

On the other hand, these things are so de-tuned from the factory its not far off from bulletproof if you take care of it. It has some minor external bolt on stuff done but I don't think anyone has been into it or done a cam or anything.

I'm tempted though. Stainless works makes a pricey long tube header kit that would be an improvement from the shorties on there now. And raylar has some nice aluminum heads, cams, so on so forth.

One mod I am more strongly considering doing is giving it a 442 style paint scheme if/when I address the rust and body moldings.

It's a toss up to acquire more toys while the selection is better and then modify them later... you only live once.

Another stock blue 87 442 is on my bucket list of cars, and it would look nice towing one if I did it up like that with the added bonus of eliminating need for repair paint match and being able to add the textured chip coating.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Last I looked the SW headers weren't available. I found them on their site, but there was no option to buy them.
It's supposedly a build-to-order item. I just pulled it up and it says 8-12 weeks lead time with the aside that there is covid related production delays.

So, it's probably not orderable but you could call and talk to them I guess. Then again, I was searching the 00-03 model, not the 04-06.

I know there's 2 cat and 4 cat versions of the trucks, and the headers are meant for the 2 cat and you need to modify a 4 cat truck as the header ends in the middle of the second set of cats if you had 4.

It did just let me add either the 00-03 or 04-07 product to the shopping cart though

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Nice truck!

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
It's supposedly a build-to-order item. I just pulled it up and it says 8-12 weeks lead time with the aside that there is covid related production delays.

So, it's probably not orderable but you could call and talk to them I guess. Then again, I was searching the 00-03 model, not the 04-06.

I know there's 2 cat and 4 cat versions of the trucks, and the headers are meant for the 2 cat and you need to modify a 4 cat truck as the header ends in the middle of the second set of cats if you had 4.

It did just let me add either the 00-03 or 04-07 product to the shopping cart though

Hmm, I've been toying with the idea of attempting to fit a set on my GMT400 454 dually as they would keep my stock cats in the stock location. Since they are still a thing, you have me thinking again.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I just did the calculation, 2500 rpm at 75 mph, very impressive mileage for that weight and rpm.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
A knowledegable tuner that can man handle the shift points and torque management system will p=give it another 40-60hp and feel like it has another 100.

Be careful with the boost with these - the rotating assembly is heavy. 10psi is about a limit for a driver and rpms are not your friend.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I just did the calculation, 2500 rpm at 75 mph, very impressive mileage for that weight and rpm.
I'll have a trip total probably tomorrow. Right now the truck reads around 3/4 tank, which should be down 9-11 gallons from full give or take. I had one mistake, that being I didn't realize until tonight the 265s aren't a factory size. Truck should've come with 245/75/16s (need to verify door data in the morning) throwing off my speeds by 3.7% if true.

Overall mpg fell on the 3rd leg of the journey from last night's hotel to the gas fillup, metro Atlanta traffic and all, but probably improved again on the final leg of the journey that I won't know until I top off the tank.

So far I started in Memphis TN at a full tank, and through this afternoon in Jackson GA (with a pit stop a few miles off the highway for a hotel last night) I've totalled 29.401 gallons used when I refueled through the first 417 miles. Still a shade over 14mpg through all that.

If anything I think the low lands and downhill portion to the coast off the piedmont may see even higher mpg since it was just over another 200 miles and only used around 1/4 tank as mentioned above (which would be a relatively insane segment)

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I surprised they aren't 17" rims. Either way, 14 mpg is impressive.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor