The King - a 2002 GMC Yukon XL... 496 CI of STILL not an LS!

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Nice buy! I feel like GM discontinuing the 3/4 ton suburban in 14 was a huge letdown. They are a great tow rig for a good price from what I know.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Nice buy! I feel like GM discontinuing the 3/4 ton suburban in 14 was a huge letdown. They are a great tow rig for a good price from what I know.

I didn't realize they'd stopped making the 2500 ones in 14, that blows.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I didn't realize they'd stopped making the 2500 ones in 14, that blows.

They still make them (2500 burbs) but only the secret service or govt fleets gets them.

• Agree

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
They still make them (2500 burbs) but only the secret service or govt fleets gets them.

Ahh, so you can still get them at auction. Reminds me of when they kept making Crown Vice but only for police if I'm remembering that correctly.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's time to take away the choice. All should be 2500 level standard.

There's so many smaller fake "suv" offerings for the mommies and such out there that the biggest and best should be made more capable. It'd probably boost sales too, the volume would reduce the cost on the 2500 parts.

Now, if only they would develop a bigger engine for the next generation. There's those 632s out there...

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It's time to take away the choice. All should be 2500 level standard.

There's so many smaller fake "suv" offerings for the mommies and such out there that the biggest and best should be made more capable. It'd probably boost sales too, the volume would reduce the cost on the 2500 parts.

Now, if only they would develop a bigger engine for the next generation. There's those 632s out there...
Unfortunately everything is going to get smaller displacement. I think the Turbo 4 will get more use every year.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Unfortunately everything is going to get smaller displacement. I think the Turbo 4 will get more use every year.
Also unfortunately, I agree with you. Soon the 6 cylinders and even 3-4L engines will be the "big ones" before they fade away altogether.

I think that is part of what drives the increasing prices of the older trucks.

One thing that has me holding back from too many power adder mods on this guy is that, like much older engines, it can be made to run propane - and was done so, most notably the Schwann's trucks. So, if the 87 pump gas gets too pricey, we know propane will be around for a long time... it's a nice backup.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
We used to have quite a few cars on Propane up here. I can't think of the last time I saw one.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Propane is made from oil though... so if fuel goes away, so does propane. Did you mean natural gas maybe?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Propane is made from oil though... so if fuel goes away, so does propane. Did you mean natural gas maybe?
Nope... propane is so common as a heating fuel in that phasing it out wouldn't go over well with the public, donors, voters, etc. You can stop production of gasoline powered motors, or tax the heck out of it to try to encourage a switch to electric, but I can't see them messing with propane.

I think more of the country lacks access to natural gas than has access by acreage, not population. I know of all the houses I've lived in and/or owned, only one property has a natural gas main nearby for service... guess that says something for my urban tolerance :ROFLMAO:

As a side note, anyone have thoughts on the longevity of grease pencil writing on underbody parts (ie differential)? I've been finding a number of repairs/changes on the truck that aren't in the receipt history.

Entire rear differential was swapped in off a 02 2500 avalanche that had 131k on it at the time of swap according to some grease writing. Wondering how long ago that mightve been done, and, now I've got to spin test the tires to verify gear ratio. At least it is labeled g80 to maintain that, so, that's good.

Also, someone either got into the transmission, or, did some preventive upgrades - it has a high capacity deep finned b&m cast aluminum pan on it.

The exhaust, however, runs close, REAL close to it compared to other cars/trucks I've had. So maybe shielding is needed? Trans temp gauge on the long runs stayed cool, so maybe not...

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor