BUILD THREAD The Mullet Maurader, The Epic of the LS swapped Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wow, I had no idea. That’s pretty cool. It’s too bad that they’re near unobtanium from the sounds of things, it would appear that would be a worthwhile upgrade for sure!
You definitely lucked out there.

I’m gonna roll the dice and gamble a bit with mine, I know that the stock F body main shaft is rated for up to 450 ft lbs of torque. That should be right on the borderline of what my 455 is putting out, maybe a bit less. The Olds 455’s are torque monsters.
I don’t anticipate having any problems until I put an über sticky tire on it. Then if it breaks, it’ll be the perfect excuse to upgrade!

• Optimistic
Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
If you have a donor F body you can use a viper main shaft or an aftermarket stronger shaft. I started with a CTSV core so this was about the same investment. I just got lucky finding the output housing.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I grabbed all that I could from the donor F body when I got mine, but it’s all factory parts with the exception of the shifter. Whoever owned the car prior to me getting the trans from it had upgraded the shifter to a Hurst short throw unit. I got the trans, shifter, driveshaft, bell housing, clutch etc for about 2 G’s. I have nothing else from the donor car.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
neat

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Time to get back at it.... And with that comes a potential direction change so I need advice...

It seems I've been watching far too much Street Outlaws, and the pull to building a fast straight line car is happening. Most of what I have already would be perfect for a drag car that can make an occasional cruise to a cars and coffee get together. So help me pick a transmission direction.

So here it is, staying LS power, gonna spray and supercharge it. Have a set of 3.90 gears for the 9" so thats taken care of. Do I build the 200-4R, Go with a TH400 or source a manual shift 4L80?

If you run under 10 seconds, what do you run?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Time to get back at it.... And with that comes a potential direction change so I need advice...

It seems I've been watching far too much Street Outlaws, and the pull to building a fast straight line car is happening. Most of what I have already would be perfect for a drag car that can make an occasional cruise to a cars and coffee get together. So help me pick a transmission direction.

So here it is, staying LS power, gonna spray and supercharge it. Have a set of 3.90 gears for the 9" so thats taken care of. Do I build the 200-4R, Go with a TH400 or source a manual shift 4L80?

If you run under 10 seconds, what do you run?

Duke, if you’re serious about going mostly straight line I’d go the TH400 route or the 4L80E. They’re both basically the same thing with the ‘L80E having the extra gear. The 400 and it’s OD brother can both be built to handle massive torque and power.

I’d think you’d need to have at least double the amount of $$$ in a 200R4 to get it to handle the same power levels. I’m sure the others will chime in shortly too.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
4l80 if you don't mind the size, weight, and complexity. TH400 if you don't care about overdrive. Powerglide if you want something that's light, simple, ultra effective.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
A 'Glide, 4k stall, and spray would make that thing come out harder than RuPaul taking a header off the end of a runway.

• Agree

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Duke, if you’re serious about going mostly straight line I’d go the TH400 route or the 4L80E. They’re both basically the same thing with the ‘L80E having the extra gear. The 400 and it’s OD brother can both be built to handle massive torque and power.

I’d think you’d need to have at least double the amount of $$$ in a 200R4 to get it to handle the same power levels. I’m sure the others will chime in shortly too.

Kinda what I'm thinking. I'll make my money back on the T-56 and that'll pay for the TH400 parts and transbrake. Sometimes simple does the job just fine.

• Agree

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
4l80 if you don't mind the size, weight, and complexity. TH400 if you don't care about overdrive. Powerglide if you want something that's light, simple, ultra effective.
Don't need the OD, but I think a glide might not be right for an occasional cruiser. I should look into it though, didn't consider a PG.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor