The new engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Here's the engine I hope its nothing as bad as I expected.
Because once I hear the noise now with a calm head and all anger aside, It doesn't sound that bad.
So I hope to admit I over reacted and its nothing major.

http://youtu.be/wssls8poaE4

Hope anyone can tell me a little more about it, Thanks in advanced.

black86442

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2011
dayton ohio
Man that sucks im sorry to hear that. I watched the video. Is that all it will do now ?just spin a little bit and stop.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
hope all works out well. i cant really put my finger on what may be wrong with it. it sounds like it barely turns over, like the starter barely turns. starter may be bad or bad timing chain.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Evan's 85 said:
hope all works out well. i cant really put my finger on what may be wrong with it. it sounds like it barely turns over, like the starter barely turns. starter may be bad or bad timing chain.

I actually have the starter hanging off of the bolts.
I was wondering if the way to test it is, Turn the key to see if the starter is spinning quick enough?
Or is there another way?

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
my guess is that is the starter was starting it before, its probably not the issue because the car shut off so abruptly on you. I would start by charging the battery and making sure you working on full power. If that's not the problem it might be time to assume the worst and that you overheated it now your clearances are all messed up because of that. I hate to jump to conclusions like that but the guys at the shop recommended some gauges, there was a reason they mentioned it.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
David Williamson said:
Evan's 85 said:

I actually have the starter hanging off of the bolts.
I was wondering if the way to test it is, Turn the key to see if the starter is spinning quick enough?
Or is there another way?

advance, o'reilly's, auto zone can test them for free.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Peter said:
my guess is that is the starter was starting it before, its probably not the issue because the car shut off so abruptly on you. I would start by charging the battery and making sure you working on full power. If that's not the problem it might be time to assume the worst and that you overheated it now your clearances are all messed up because of that. I hate to jump to conclusions like that but the guys at the shop recommended some gauges, there was a reason they mentioned it.

I would charge the battery as well. idk I think he would honestly know if the car overheated by the radiator steaming and or boiling over as well as the smell. So, I'm not gonna say it really did overheat.

Also, David did it have plenty of oil, antifreeze in it when and after this happened?

455rocket

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2011
PA
Also they messed with my linkage cable because now it doesn't want to go into any gear by the shifter, I have to do it by the column, I paid another guy to fix that and he did but now since they touched it its completely broke.

Why would you pay another shop to fix this after all that work????

But what I never mentioned on here cause I didn't care I was overly excited about my car was.
I got it back and I swear there was no oil in the car, No water/anti-freeze nothing.
When I put oil into it I swear it had the worst oil leak, how on a "fixed" Motor there was a leak??

How could you not care about this. How much oil and anti freeze did you have to put in it? You should have taken the car right back with these issues, not after you took the car out and blew it up with no gauges in it. Don't want to sound mean here David but this is lookin like a self inflicted wound.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
David,
I'm so sorry to hear about the mishap with this engine. Were you given instructions on how to drive the car during the break-in
period?
I would think this guy has got to stand behind his work. Any kind of engine builder worth his salt would have gone over everything to check for noises, leaks, etc. If I were doing the work on this car/engine, I would have certainly driven it around myself to give it a shake down drive. I understand many shops don't operate that way, but how could you return a car to a customer without everything working properly? Especially transmission linkage not connected, not shifting properly...etc.
You also should have checked the fluids yourself... and checked for it running hot. Normally a new engine will run a bit on the hot side due to close tolerances in the bearings, rings, etc.
If you felt that you've done everything right...then by all means take him to small claims court. Also check his reputation with the BBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor