The "Other" Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I don't understand the obsession with these factory splices. I've never seen one fail.....
Now, the ground splice by the horn is underfed, but the connection is fine. I only cut it out to upgrade to a 10ga.

Reactions: 1 user

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Where did you get those connectors for the fuse panel? I dug into my taillight harness and need to replace at least one wire all the way back to the connector. Do you have a part number? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200927-170717.png
    Screenshot_20200927-170717.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 169

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Where did you get those connectors for the fuse panel? I dug into my taillight harness and need to replace at least one wire all the way back to the connector. Do you have a part number? Thanks in advance
If you mean the triple buss that came out of a Monte at the junkyard. That goes into the back of the fuse box and each terminal is one half of a fuse spade. The other one in the photo with the short piece of wire is what I had to repair. Wasnt enough wire left to fix with a splice.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
This is why I don't like the crimped and taped splices the wires were so corroded 6 in away from the splice that I had to replace the wire all the way back to the terminal

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_164704.jpg
    IMG_20200927_164704.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20200927_164708.jpg
    IMG_20200927_164708.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 166

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
This is why I don't like the crimped and taped splices the wires were so corroded 6 in away from the splice that I had to replace the wire all the way back to the terminal

The wiring in both of my cars is actually in really good condition. The repair done in the 81 was minor all things considered.
The dash wiring in my wagon was also in great shape. I added aftermarket gauges so they have their own wiring. The light harness was good but I couldnt get one front directional to work so I tore into the harness thinking there might be a ground problem. Turned out to be the plug on the column. Wasnt snapped in all the way. At least I know the light harness will be good for a long time. LOL
The engine harness was new from the bulkhead out. That took a little time.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Got some more pictures to post up. I tried to get as much done as I could before I went in for the valve job.

Resprayed the inner fender with a fresh qt of Hot Rod black. This time it came out the right color.
IMG_0578.jpg

Not a perfect place for the box but hopefully it wont crap out right away. Its an old box but brand new. I bought it when I first started working on the car.
IMG_0587.jpg
Its runs so Im leaving it alone. LOL
IMG_0592.jpg
Cleaned up the TH400 and put in a couple of new gaskets and rear seal. Hit it with some aluminum paint while I had it out.
IMG_0542.jpg
Replaced the tweaked timing cover. Started it the other day and no leaks anywhere. Made me happy. Hmmm, I guess I do timing chain covers differently than certain people. Notice theres no broken bolts and a ton of sealer. LOL
IMG_0521.jpg
Also bent up some solid tubing for the vacuum line to the trans. Nic copper since it was easier to bend than steel. Hopefully it wont break down the road.
IMG_0567.jpg
IMG_0570.jpg

All thats left is an alignment, exhaust and putting the hood back on. I cant lift anything until I go back to the cardiologist for a follow up in a month. At least I'll finally be able to drive both cars this year !!

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Those inner fenders look great! Would you mind sharing the steps and products you used?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Those inner fenders look great! Would you mind sharing the steps and products you used?
Thanks ! They were scuffed after cleaning, a light coat of Bulldog adhesion promoter sprayed through a 1.0 nozzle in a detail gun and two coats of SEM Hot Rod Black sprayed through a 1.3 nozzle in an HVLP gun. No primers.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor