The Power of the G-Body Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
We've kind of deviated from the orig topic anyway so who cares. I agree with foxtrot there. But every state is different. In mine, the county I'm in doesn't emission test and when I did live in a county that did, they were all over the map through the years with what they checked. I hear it's now just check for Cats and sensor in the tail pipe. As long as you're in specs they don't seem to care.

Hutch

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Clone, it is true that replacing the CCC Qjet with a non-CCC Qjet is technically not legit. The same can be said about any engine modifications such as raising the compression over stock or replacing the cam with one that has a more aggressive profile. Any of the above modifications my pass a visual check or the tailpipe test but it's not the original configuration that was orinally qualified and hence technically not legit. Anywho, sorry for the hijack but I wanted to add my two cents with regards to your comment.

It depends, many performance parts have CARB and EO numbers making them perfectly legal. The Crane Powermax cam I have in my 305 has EO numbers making it 100% legit. It is a more aggressive cam but both CARB and the EPA ok'ed it, same with the old Eddy TES headers and Hooker 2050s. There used to be a ton of smog legal performance parts for G bodies but not anymore. It is mostly race track stuff now. Even if I lived in a less strict state I still would not want to remove the CCC if I could help it, who doesn't want a carb that performs like EFI?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
A ccc carb only controls the small primaries and has nothing to do with the secondaries

"the electronic carburetor--technically speaking, the proper term is "feedback carburetor"-- was not actually an emission-control device, but really a way to ensure that the catalytic converter did its job properly. The goal was to keep the air/fuel ratio at a stoichiometric ratio (the aforementioned 14.7:1) during as many operating conditions as possible. The oxygen sensor acted as an auditor of the results."

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Yep, it only only controls the primaries which is what you only use most of the time for street driving. The secondaries don't kick it until you are almost flooring it, if they kicked in any sooner the engine would bog or flood and stall out. Alot of Qjet bogging problems are misadjustments with the secondaries. At WOT, the mixture solenoid dwell defaults to full rich.

However, the CCC does have finer fuel control over most of the power band, which is why feedback carbs have better gas mileage and the cylinders are not gas washed. All nonfeedback carbs operate slightly rich even when tuned correctly, feedback carbs operate at the stoichiometric ratio most of the time, neither rich or lean. The CCC also controls timing advance, no springs, sticky weights, or vacuum diaphragms to worry about, just swap proms. Plus it has spark knock retard, the system also has finer control of EGR and finer torque converter lockup control. I never understood why G body owners poo-poo such a great system. Best thing about is tune it once and forget it, unlike most nonfeedback carbs that require retuning every day.

I would say the biggest problem for a CCC Qjet with performance is the border line lean idle circuits, which can easily be fixed by enlarging the idle tubes. A real gearhead can do it in 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor