The Power of the G-Body Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
This may be stupid to ask, but has anyone on here suggested using the power of 11,000 + members to get a product to market. By this I mean using the power of numbers to ask if a part is produced.

Example: I sent a question to Painless Wiring using their customer contact e-mail about whether they would ever be making a Direct Fit harness for G-Body's. No reply. It was right before SEMA so maybe I cut them some slack.

But what if, in the same week or two time frame, they got 6000 people asking the same question about the same body style car? Surely someone there would have to take notice and at least ponder the possibility.

I see more and more G-Body related parts coming out (not just TobyP and BWeavy) and that add for GBodyParts.com in my car mag is getting bigger and BIGGER all the time. Maybe we could kick the can a little bit farther down the tracks.

Just thinking out loud.

Hutch

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
This would be especially good if it had plugs for adding power windows, power seats, electric speedo sender, or modular engine harness upgrades (for LS or TPI upgrades, for example). How about sequential turn signals like the Mustangs?

Reactions: 1 user

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
It was I who mentioned the power of a site this size to bring products to market a long time ago, but I also pointed out that not everyone may want to be marketed to in that fashion. Some people would rather this site be more like a vip section at a club than a store. Also, many people give lip service to parts they 'want to buy' but then continue to be broke and never buy the parts. That sucks for the vendors. Somewhere between the two extremes of doing 0 marketing, or whoring out the site to vendors is a moderate goal of delicately balancing both so everyone is happy. Obviously the track mods section should probably market @ people a lot harder than the 'restoration' section that people would obviously be searching for discontinued NOS parts secondhand.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I see your point. What I'm getting at is an item that everyone would like to see made for our vehicles that isn't out there. I hear that rear window glass is getting hard to find new. If that's the case, then everyone hits the scrap yards to get what's left because no one has it in stock new. If the demand is there but no product is made I just wonder what a huge influx of inquiries about that part would do. If nothing else it may nudge a company into looking at the issue and deciding if that product should be made.

It could be something as simple as factory correct new radio knobs. You look online and find no one makes them new (this is an example, don't post right behind me "they do too") so you concede that you'll have to get them used. I'm just wondering if anyone would make that part if a bunch of people didn't inquire and make them ponder the issue. Just a thought.

Hutch

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
I think Pencero has nailed it.
No point in setting up a production run and finding a bunch of unsold product taking up storage space.
It works for Mustangs, F Bodies, Tri Chevys and the like because there is a market established, and enthusiasts are prepared to pay premium prices to keep their vehicles correct. But these cars command hefty prices. G Bodies, much as we love them, have just run past their old clunker phase, and aren't yet rare collectibles.
The businesses who set up making repop parts have to be keenly aware of what will be in demand, I doubt a business who's model is "Well we will make them anyway and hope they sell" will last long unless it gets lucky.

Roger.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I don't disagree, but I think there is a demand for some of these parts. We don't ask the manufacturer if they make them because we can see that they don't, so we look used without asking directly if we can get it new. I'm just wondering if we all want the same part, why not let the company know our interest. Can't hurt, and it's possible no one makes it because no one knows there's a buying group that wants it. Just sayin

Hutch

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Here's another bit of info that might skew your opinion. Only a small fraction of those 11K users are still active on the site. The rest have moved on, posted once and forgot, sold their cars, found different cliques, whatever.... There's no way to know for sure, except that 11K different registered users don't visit the site on a daily or even weekly basis. (If they did, oh brother!) I've culled a lot of users who signed up and never even bothered to log in or even post, but still. Just the nature of the beast.

I think, too, that while the aftermarket is picking up speed, that these cars will never be as valuable (with rare exceptions, 442, GN, MCSS, etc.) as say the tri-5 Chevy's that I like to compare them to, or the F-Body's over the years, or the 64-74 "muscle cars" ... They're just not there. Very few care to relive the late 70's and 1980's car culture. Really. Not compared to the "golden ages" like 1957 or 1969. 55 mile an hour speed limits, safety/MPG regs, and insurance companies, AND GM made sure of that.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Very true. The late 70's and all of the 80's were not a good time to be an American car fan. I will say that the G-Body has come a long way in popularity and respect as a great platform to build upon. Look at the Holley LS Fest with it's Monte SS demo car for their new LS kit, and Detroit Speed has a G-Body mule in its stable. If you have the duckies you can get a full Schwartz G-Machine frame with all the goodies, even Dakota Digital has a G-Body cluster for sale (careful of the sticker shock).

I will add that 6 years ago you could have traded a sandwich for a 1977 Trans Am. Then Year One did that Bandit Edition and now it's taking off. With the increase in sheet metal for these vehicles growing daily it wont be long before some high end resto mod gets the attention of everyone, and then....BOOM

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
In order to build a G body right you have to have skill & finesse. It doesn't take much to grab a 50's to 60's american classic and make it look cool. They looked cool coming out of the factory! But to do a g body you have to work with what you have. Bring out best details. But as older cars start becoming more and more rare. And most of them will either be found in museums or retired American garages (sorry oldies) the automotive enthusiastic crowd will start moving towards 80's cars.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I don't see how the market is improving. Right and left basic replacement parts for these cars are being discontinued, and many bolt on performance parts are also long gone. The only new stuff are these $500 + upgrade kits that change everything around. Not everybody wants to spend 10K on upgrades just to keep their G body running.

Perhaps we can use the "power of this forum" to get reproduction parts made once more. Weatherstripping that fits, lean stop repair kits, dual snorkel Thermac air cleaners, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor