The search for a comfortable tow pig...

175k I'm general seems like a lot for a 454, but they can and do go much longer. My 454 Vortec is sitting north of 150k and, after beefing up the crankcase breathing, is very long for this world. If this thing is decent, you could pop some Vortec heads on, give it a decent cam, tune exhaust, tune and it wouldn't suck. Or you could dump an 8.1 in and kick @$$ from day 1.
For the price of the heads, cam, roller setup, tune, etc I could pick up a junkyard 496.... they've gotten expensive though. Found one an hour away with 70k for $1700. Used to be much cheaper.

Then it's a project creep rabbit hole. Raylar Engineering has some nice eye candy. Wonder what the 454 would be worth in running condition to the "Murica!!!" crowd if the trailer park all chip in together, and how that would offset a 496 transplant.

A 6.0L pulls harder than a '95 454, except below 2,500 RPM (which doesn't happen much with 4.10 gears), but a 8.1L swap be killer.

My dad had a '92 2WD 454 suburban we lowered with drop spindles/springs (6" drop) and smoothed - no luggage rack, painted GMC grille. It was hilarious because you walked up to it and just stepped into in, - no need to step up. I bought a V10 ram in '96 and my dad had to have a Ram, too,(Cummins) so the Suburban was no longer used to tow much any more.

My sister has 5 kids and was bugging my dad to find her a suburban (with his lowered 2500 one actually in the driveway that she walked right past).

"Here" (he hands her the keys) She asks what were those for? "My Suburban".

She had zero idea his lowered truck was a suburban

A 6.0L pulls harder than a '95 454, except below 2,500 RPM (which doesn't happen much with 4.10 gears), but a 8.1L swap be killer.

I'd argue that line is in the 3000 range. The 454 is less likely to downshift when towing. When it does, there's not much to look forward to. My 454 Vortec is happiest around 3500. The Whipple, however, just makes everything better. The 8.1 is supposed to have better legs than the 454 and more of everything everywhere. It would be an awesome swap especially if you did the Allison with it.

I'd argue that line is in the 3000 range. The 454 is less likely to downshift when towing. When it does, there's not much to look forward to. My 454 Vortec is happiest around 3500. The Whipple, however, just makes everything better. The 8.1 is supposed to have better legs than the 454 and more of everything everywhere. It would be an awesome swap especially if you did the Allison with it.

A '96 up vortec has 60 more HP than a '95 older and are way better motors for towing a trailer ever since the 55 mph speed limit went away. I've had the same trailer since 1992 (8500 lbs loaded) and my 6.0L Yukon XL with 4.10 gears tows way better @ 70 mph than the '92 454 did. When the 6.0L does down shift, it has more power and revs. When the pre vortec 454 downshifted, power wasn't much and it doesn't really want to rev.

A '96 up vortec has 60 more HP than a '95 older and are way better motors for towing a trailer ever since the 55 mph speed limit went away. I've had the same trailer since 1992 (8500 lbs loaded) and my 6.0L Yukon XL with 4.10 gears tows way better @ 70 mph than the '92 454 did. When the 6.0L does down shift, it has more power and revs. When the pre vortec 454 downshifted, power wasn't much and it doesn't really want to rev.

Well we both know that a TBI 454 is not on the table, so the question is are we shooting for better than 454 TBI (which is pretty much anything) or is there a specific goal in mind? My 5.7 Vortec will outpull a stock 454 Vortec from an idle to redline, but stock was pretty lame even for the 350. Blowers make a helluva difference. My money is on an 8.1 or a 383 if a swap is being entertained. Even a downshifted Vortec 454 is mostly noise. I've never experienced a 454 TBI. Had a chance to grab a super clean 1992 eclb 2500 with the 454 and I chose the 350 Vortec instead in my 98. I wouldn't want the 6.0 without some boost. They're very soft down low for my liking. Once you soon them up, they're great, but that's not my cup of tea.

Well we both know that a TBI 454 is not on the table, so the question is are we shooting for better than 454 TBI (which is pretty much anything) or is there a specific goal in mind?
The goal is a long-term keeper where mpg doesn't matter. It can be a local heavy stuff mover in the rain with that cargo area, and even toss sleeping bags in the back with the seats down in bad weather once in a while.

The specific route I know I will be making multiple, occasional trips includes a continuous 6 mile climb up a grade that averages 4% to 5 incline with no letup. I expect to haul loads of around 9,000 towards 10,500 pounds up that grade.

I don't think a small block has the power band for the oomph to get that done. I like the 8.1 torque curve that's over 400 ft pounds starting around 1500rpm and staying over 400 ft lb through 5000 rpm without dropping off. Add a cam, headers, etc and going north of 400hp and 550 ft lb isn't out of the question. It's a stretch, but I think it could do it.

I don't think a 6.0 is the choice here because I need to pass though the mountains. A loaded truck, with a loaded trailer, would be well beyond its capabilities I think.

Obviously this tbi 454 is far from ideal and wouldn't do the job either, but, at least the suspension and such is already set up for the weight and it's set up with a 4l80e-HD in it. I could use it for lesser tasks until I get around to the heavy loads after sorting an 8.1L, I have the luxury of renting a portion of a large warehouse that used to be a heavy equipment factory that the big stuff and stay behind in for as long as I'm willing to pay.

A 6.0 truck has the luxury of being set up for a drop in from the wiring standpoint. But suspension needs a complete rebuild as the dry weight of a 8.1 is about 256 pounds heavier than a 6.0.

In comparison a 454 is within 60 pounds and should be ok. Then, if you swap to raylar's aluminum heads with the cam upgrade you've got nothing to worry about, weights become compatable 7.4 to 8.1.

Obviously, easiest route is to just buy an 8.1 truck. Scratch that. Easiest route is to buy an 06 or 07 classic with a duramax, but not looking to drop $20+ thousand up front and I've got a lighter duty pickup anyways. A 2500 burb/Yukon xl is a useful long term thing to have around. Those steep heavy hauls won't be every day but it does need to be able to make a couple of them here and there.

Meanwhile, here's some pics of a throwback to the 90s. It's 100% rust free, even underneath on frame, floors, everywhere.

118206765_10223738538632052_3167608222427676645_o.jpg
118203855_10223738544352195_7826052890947487983_o.jpg
118334301_10223738540312094_5014516185103215854_o.jpg

It couldn't come together to come home. Before test driving today while looking it over the owner told me although he had PS lines and pump replaced, it was still slowly leaking fluid and he couldn't see where. (It's a spare very seldom used truck for him and unnecessary with their powerstroke.) During the drive I stopped in a Walmart parking lot after a short highway run and some moderate braking for a short steep offramp. Found some smoke from hood. On opening it found the hydro boost unit was bad and leaking fluid out the joint with the master cylinder.

We had a mustang with us and no tools. Nobody local had a hydro boost in stock either anyways.

Owner offered to cut the price, but, being 380 miles away from home, not a good risk to buy and try driving. Neither uhaul, nor penske, nor budget would allow it to be trailered by anything they had. Long distance tow would be outrageous.

Asked owner about his plans if we didnt strike a deal and he said if it didnt sell by monday as-is he would have his local shop fix the problem and put it back for sale but firm on the asking price. He agreed to give me first dibs and a call at that point to come back for another test drive, if it got that far. We agreed that while he would at least listen to anyone who wanted to buy as-is locally over the weekend since he couldnt get it in the shop anyways, I could likewise keep looking around for another truck since who knows how long the fix or getting parts would be with how shipping is.

Had to go home empty handed, for now.

Reactions: UNGN

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor