time for a new DD (honda EK project)

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
my hats's off to you. That's a lot of work for a DD Honda Civic. I guess I am older and not as broke as I used to be ( you make me feel old and lazy but I am ok with that ). Your level of workmanship in the timeframe you did it in is outstanding.

I would have tackled a job like that in my teens and even early 20's. Nowadays I would have tossed that wreck and bought another car :)

Hope you get a good number of years out of it !

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
wellllll,now that the dd is out of the way :shock! TIME TO SHOW THE ELCO SOME LOVE??? cant wait ,as you went town and back on the civic,as i can only imagine how niCE the el will be!!! 8)

the ghoul

Master Mechanic
Dec 18, 2012
Lmao! This whole project I've been repeting to my self "I'm too old for this sh*t!" Lol!! I was geeked to hear it run today!
Thankyou for the compliments!
I wish I could get back to the caballero; that probably won't be till spring; my friend is paying me to build his 49 ford pickup for him.......

the ghoul

Master Mechanic
Dec 18, 2012
Well, first startup was less than awesome, but still exciting

Turns out I need to preform an IACV swap over to run the obd2b engine with the chipped obd1 ecu. As I really don't have need for the flashed ecu I swapped in the stock ecu and the bad news kept comming...
The idle was sitting way too high! 1700-2200 rpm depending on heat cycle;
IACV cleaned, sensors checked, vacuume ports double checked, idle screw and idle air screws adjust and the conclusion was; no difference!
Out of desperation i over-torqued the manifold bolts and it dropped the idle down to 1200rpm. So I think I need a new intake manafold gasket and possibly a TPS...

Oh. And the brake booster isn't working. Don't really know if it is out of adjustment or If the replacement I bough is bad?

the ghoul

Master Mechanic
Dec 18, 2012
Ok; so small mystery solved.
Abs master cylinder and non-abs booster;apparently do not play well

the ghoul

Master Mechanic
Dec 18, 2012
Here I thought the paint and body work would be the difficult part! Today was clean and install interrior day

That was trickier than a double-talkin dislexic politician. That asside it all cleaned up and is installed!
Also found out why the brake booster wasn't working. Turns out I insalled the vacuume hose backwards and the booster check valve wasn't allowing flow!

the ghoul

Master Mechanic
Dec 18, 2012
Yeahhhh, then this happened

I have a high idle and a throttle surge when warm with a low TPS code thrown. I eliminated all possible vacuume leaks except the manifold gasket (the only gasket I didn't replace when the engine was out!)
So 45min worth of work later the intake was out.... I forgot how easy these cars are to work on!
New gasket went in like a dream, got a new TPS in and calibrated, cleaned out the idle air controle valve just to be safe, and now I'm waiting on a throttle body gasket to put it together and see what has been accomplished!

the ghoul

Master Mechanic
Dec 18, 2012
Well I picked up both versions of the TB gasket (auto and manual) investigating the theory that the wrong one will create a vacuume leak.

And it is correct. The manual transmission TB gasket on a 3wire IACV throttle body would create a heck of a leak

With all the proper bits back in place and sealed up nice and tight she is now bumbling along nice and smooth

the ghoul

Master Mechanic
Dec 18, 2012
Success!
Drove her around town for an hour and a half today in the rain; no issues. Got it professionally aligned and tomorrow I'll double check all the hardwear but I think she's good to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor