Time to stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
haha okay literally i need to stop. The malibu now when if i need to slam on the brakes in emergency the front wheels lock up and the car slides. not exactly stopping at all, if i put new drilled and slotted rotars on the front with new brake pads and had the drums worked over in the back will this help me with stopping? i don't really have the time to do the bigger mods like with swaps and stuff i would rather just do it this way. just let me know what ya think

thanks

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Drilled and slotted look good, don't really help unless u get on the track. Brakes need some heat. Take a look at the basic functions first. Something is wrong with what u have now. If the fronts are locking up and the back in is wandering, then pull the rear drums and readjust the back brakes. Should help cure your prob.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
thanks for the help guys hopefully i can get this fixed in the near future

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
i'd start lookin at the rubber too
extra braking force or efficiency isnt going to help if they're already locking up

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
oh and the tread is like new still has those stubby things on the outsides

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
78mali350 said:
oh and the tread is like new still has those stubby things on the outsides
What size are they? The stock 195 75 R14's are not really up to the curb weight of a G body when driven hard. I'd look for at least a 225 60 15 on a 15x7 in wheel for a G body that is driven hard.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
stockers nothin fancy, it's not that i am driving hard but in emergency this thing couldn't really stop on a ................... yeah i got nothin it slides a little ways i guess

PILOT

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2007
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
I still think it's your rubber. If your brakes are locking the wheels, then they are working fine. There just isn't any traction with the road. Check out the BFG Radial T/A line, many guys use them and like them. I just bought a set myself, and should have them arriving today - can take pics if you want.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
well hopefully at the end of the month i am getting new wheels and tires so that i hope will solve my problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor