time to swap engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Well my '87 buick regal limited, it's coming to that time to swap the v6(or rebuild it) or swaping to a v8. I have a bad engine knock v6 and being a car guy, it doesn't sound good at all. I was thinking of having the 231 v6 rebuilt and putting goodies into it. Or then there's the other route by replacing the v6 with a v8. If I go the route of a v8 does anyone know of a place that I can't bring and engine or if they can get one and do an engine swap? I so miss having my garage and all the goodies that was in it. Divorce really does suck! Back to my car and engine question. I'm located in farmingdale, ny and so is the car. I'm looking to get a chevy v8( 350 4bolt if possible) and have someone install it. Or if someone here on the forum would like to do the job, I have no problem with that route. I'm not always on the forum so you can email me at [email protected] and we can go from there and talk.

Thanks for your time, help and input, Rob
Im sure theres a few good shops out that way that can do the job. If youre on FB join LI Needs a Dragstrip. You can ask for the names of shops out that way. The one that was really great just shut down a month ago due to one of the owners passing away from cancer. SP Classics built some amazing cars. Theres a shop out east near me thats pretty busy. How soon do you want the car finished ?

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Like mikester just asked, how quickly do you need this done. I read a post where somebody suggested to a vehicle owner without a garage, to rent a storage unit to park/work on the car during their swap. If you have tools, time, and wanted to do the job yourself, that could be a viable option.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I us d to work out of a storage garage. At 10 feet wide it is challenging. You only have about 18 inches clearance on each side. Go for the double unit. 20 feet is the ticket. That was my garage for almost 8 years until bought my first house. I have a lot of great memories of my time in that unit

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hardly ever see a storage that wide all they have are the single car size in my area or I'd rent one too and save me some headaches
I have an RV storage. 14'x40' x 16' tall....
20180106_174030.jpg

20190222_173001.jpg

And here's the 10'x25' I had before...

20171230_104411.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Holy moly, I'll bet you there aren't any bitchin' neighbors either - GREAT IDEA!

What's the going rate for that if you don't mind me asking?
$257/month. It just got better as a new gas station was built in front of the complex, and it's one of the new "truck stop" sized gas stations so it has a bathroom and a small restaurant in it. Saves on rolling up the shop and going home. I'm definitely looking forward to putting that $257/month towards our new place (house and shop) that we are going to build about 40 miles north of where we are now. But for now, this is pretty nice. I couldn't have the GP or the Roadmaster without this place. It has plenty of shortcomings (no bathroom, no 220V, sharing about 15A of 110V, renting it) but it beats the heck out of doing a transmission swap in the driveway and my cars are dry and parked on concrete. The place is fairly secure as well.

Hot Rods in the Storage.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Buick 350 gets my vote. Only tough part us finding one. Easiest install you could possibly do. I can give you a complete parts list for the swap if needed.

Pros to swap to a Buick 350:

The 3.8 is literally a 350 with 2 cylinders missing and a shorter stroke.

Everything attatched to the 3.8 will bolt directly to the 350.

350 Buick fully dressed is 75-100lbs lighter than a sbc.

Non adjustable valvetrain.

Easily accessible oil pump and filter.

Starter, timing cover, distributor (physically will fit), and water and fuel pumps are the same.

Frame and motor mounts are the same.

Bellhosing pattern is the same.

Exhaust manifolds flow well.

Piston are the same. You can use (8) 3.0/181 flat top v6 piston for easy 9.5:1 under $250.

Cons:

Parts cost about 1.5x as much but if you shop around you can get great deals.

Special attention NEEDS to be paid to oil pump setup and bearing clearances. No more than .002 on the rods and mains.

That's pretty much it. If you go Chevy it will be cheaper yes but everything I posted and more will need replaced or modified.

Plus it's damn cool to pop the hood and show off a Buick v8.

FB_IMG_1602565183622.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor