Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I do believe it has the blow proof style, but I have never had a backfire yet

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
The accelerator pump cam is right on the side of the throttle arm just below where your throttle cable hooks on. If it's still the stock pump cam it will be orange I believe, it is held in place with a small pan head screw. It has two holes in it, the #1 hole brings in the squirter shot a little quicker but the #2 hole will give it more volume, you can try that first. Or you could buy a pump cam kit and experiment with which works best. The cams go in order least - most by color: White, Blue, Red, Orange, Black, Green, Pink, Brown. Also possibly jumping up to a 31 squirter may help, but I would try working with the accelerator cam first. Start with making sure the slack is out of the pump arm, then work from that.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i'm assuming your dist has vacuum advance? how is that set, and the mechanical advance?

gpguy

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2008
Why not bump the timing a little? I run a mild cam with total timing at 38. Take it up until it pings. then back it down a hair. just my 2cents

79malibubbctt

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2011
cb, ia
The 650 is to big. The 650 actually gives more fuel than the 750. Swap it out for a 750 vacuum. I just tuned a 70 z28 camaro. Had a 650 and was trying to load up on fuel. Major hesitation. Swapped it out and problem solved. You settings are right on the nose.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
lol, you know you are not the 1st person to tell me this...my buddy tells me all the time my holley 650 is sh*t, he tells me to put on his 750 edelbrock. other than that they are the same carb, electric choke, vacuum secondary. Last difference that makes me tend to agree with you both is that my holley is dual inlet, where edelbrock aint. I just figured all the dual inlet would do is help me not starve for fuel upstairs. With calculations came up with low of 560cfm and a high of 610cfm. I originally came up with the 560 using 5500rpm as max, but my buddy who runs engine shop said to use 6000rpm instead. My cam is good till around 5300rpm lol, so I thought my other buddy with 750cfm carb was just crazy b/c I knew I was already running rich.

I have to find info on the street fire distributor b/c I can't remember the mechanical advance on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor