Timing and Idle help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Okay I am getting frustrated trying to tune my motor better. Okay it is pretty much a bone stock chevy 350. Standard bore and stroke, eagle rotating assembly with hyperutectic pistons. very mild flat tappet cam w/ stock 1.5 stamped steel rockers. high volume oil pump and street fire distributor. I have had timing @16 initial with 32 total. I have the idle in park around 850-900rpm. The idle just seems a little low and so does the timing. I am honestly afraid to bump timing up. My heads are also extremely stock 1.94 76cc and carb is 650cfm holley vac 2ndry. I am just looking for a little guidance.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
In my opinion, your idle sounds fine to me where it is. But I think that carb is to big.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
yea it definitely is a little too big, did the math and I needed around a 610 cfm. I figured I could downjet it, but I will be putting a set of brodix IK180s and a beefer roller cam setup soon. Just trying to get her to run her best as is. I think the timing is the bigger issue at the moment. I know I'm running rich

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Why do you think there is a problem with the timing or idle? From what you've posted things look ok to me.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
hesitation on acceleration really, I want to go with more just don't want to hurt anything either

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
carb is fine at 650, but you may need to adjust/check the accel pump.
timing wise your initial might be a touch high. notice i say might.
what color are the plugs? that will tell you if the fuel/air is good or not

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
I agree on checking the accelerator pump. Make sure there is no slack in between the pump arm and pump cam. What color of cam is in there now and what squirter?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Also check for vacuum leaks.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
primary jet - 67
secondary - 73
pump discharge nozzle - 0.028
power valve - 65

I don't know the cam inside and it doesn't tell me anywhere
no vacuum leaks, I have checked and double checked that

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Is the power valve still good? One backfire through the carb and it's toast (unless it's the blow proof style).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor